Thread: It's been 8 months since the last release

Exclamation It's been 8 months since the last release

BeyondPod version 4.2.41 has been released on 10-17-2018, exactly 8 months ago, still riddled with bugs. Since then the fine developers of Smart Data have been working tirelessly to fix these bugs and bring us a new release.

You got any news on a new release, Kim? Any updates? Any information what is taking so long? Anything?

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by BubiBalboa View Post
    BeyondPod version 4.2.41 has been released on 10-17-2018, exactly 8 months ago, still riddled with bugs. Since then the fine developers of Smart Data have been working tirelessly to fix these bugs and bring us a new release.

You got any news on a new release, Kim? Any updates? Any information what is taking so long? Anything?
    Unfortunately I do not have any update on when to expect the next release. I wish I did. I have reached out to development this morning actually to see when we can get something out but I do not have that answer yet. I will share that information when I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Unfortunately I do not have any update on when to expect the next release. I wish I did. I have reached out to development this morning actually to see when we can get something out but I do not have that answer yet. I will share that information when I have it.
    In my headcanon "development" is just one person furiously coding in a bedroom office somewhere and KimW is their significant other that helps out by doing some customer service. So in this scenario "development" came into the kitchen for breakfast while Kim was having coffee and she asked how things were. Not that I'm trying to write BeyondPod development fan fiction or anything like that.

lmao

I like it. I would add that the dev cheated his way into the job and is furiously trying to learn enough Java to fix BP. Any day now. lol

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by mjt View Post
    In my headcanon "development" is just one person furiously coding in a bedroom office somewhere and KimW is their significant other that helps out by doing some customer service. So in this scenario "development" came into the kitchen for breakfast while Kim was having coffee and she asked how things were. Not that I'm trying to write BeyondPod development fan fiction or anything like that.
    The development team is a team that we, (Smart Data) have contracted out for this project and are overseas.

I wish I had more information for all of you, believe me. I don't enjoy reading negative comments on a daily basis, and seeing customers frustrated with a buggy app. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do personally to fix these bugs as I am not a developer. The development team is working on this project and I give you the information I receive from them, when I receive it. The only thing I can do in my power is to relay the feedback and the reports to that team, and then I have to leave it to the development team (not one person that I am involved with, thank you) to do their part.

Please keep your rude comments to yourself in the future. Those types of comments have no business being in a place like this.
    Last edited by KimW; 06-18-2019 at 10:33 AM.

At this point, even though it's a month later, I can't resist responding, Kim.

Kim, I'd suggest that you not take any comments made here personally. I've been amazed at just how civil the posts on this forum have been, given the completely inexcusable release schedule of BeyondPod.

A couple of specifics: if Smart Data has a contract with offshore developers -- it's a contract! It's still Smart Data that owns the app, and is responsible to its customers, and if the current developers aren't performing their part of the contract, there are plenty of others. If you show up at an airport and the folks at the checkin desk say "we contracted this flight with a regional carrier, we don't have any idea when they will show up" you won't just sleep at the airport for 6 months hoping that the wedding hasn't really started yet...

Second, I thought mjt's comment was pretty sweet, and not rude at all. I'll resist the temptation to expand on their fan fiction, but isn't that a much better thing to visualize than a company that for some reason doesn't bother to insist on what it's contractually owed? (And it doesn't say anything rude about you at all -- quite the opposite.)

Third, you repeatedly say that you pass on information you receive from the development team as you get it. But in fact, you haven't passed on any information in at least a year - even during the period after the release that broke everything. So that line is no help.

Fourth, along that line: nobody on this forum is accusing you of not doing a great job. I presume that even the contractual stuff I mentioned is not in your control. We're all aware that you're paid to pass on the information you're given, and that you can do no more. You seem well aware that this is a terrible situation -- but it's not a situation you created or can fix. So go with the flow, keep a stiff upper lip, and don't take anything personally! Basically we're in this together.

Fifth, there's a lurking problem with all this passage of time: things will keep breaking. As of today, the View Update Log feature doesn't work. I presume this is because of some API change that was announced 6 months ago, but the development team hasn't been able to deal with because of all the things that are already broken.

Finally, I've offered my assistance before and I offer it again. If that's interesting, put me in contact with the right people!

--Denis

Yeah, I'm with Denis. The community can get this done in about a week <raises hand to help>. We love the product and want to see it fully developed.

It's been another 3 months. Android 10 is out and more and more stuff is breaking.

Got any news, Kim?