Thread: Skipping whole episodes when FF at end of previous episode

Skipping whole episodes when FF at end of previous episode

I was hoping this would be fixed in this new update, but it hasn't been. When I'm at the end of an episode I bang on the >> button several times to jump over the credits and go to the next episode. This used to jump through some of the opening of the next episode or beginning advertising, but since the previous update and now also with .40 it skips over the next episode entirely at times. What I've noticed is that the play position doesn't get reset when it goes to that new episode. So in I'm at 10 minutes on a short podcast and press >> then it might start the next episode at 11 minutes in because it added 30 seconds to the timestamp of the last episode and then went to the new episode and jumped to that new time. What it should be doing is starting the next episode, resetting the timestamp to 0:0 and then adding 30 seconds and jumping to 0:30. If I have an hour podcast and the next thing in the queue is a shorter podcast it jumps over the whole thing entirely. For the previous release I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't fix the issue.

I've been meaning to report this for years, I think this is basically some sort of a race condition between the button press action being registered, the "last position" lookup, the episode change and the "set new position" action. I've noticed that it's not just FF where it happens, it's *any button press* like Pause, FF or Rewind (at least from a BT headset) that happens right as the episode transitions over.

I think that presumably whats happening is that some field like "current position" is set to the end of the previous episode while the next episode is starting up. An action is presumably asynchronously kicked off that reads this position and then attempts to set the position of the episode to 30 seconds ahead of the previous position, which doesn't resolve until the previous action "start the next episode" has occurred, at which point the scrolling is no longer necessary. I think instituting a lock around the episode change-over should solve this, so that button presses go:

- <Button press recieved>
    - <Acquire lock>
    - Read old position
    - Set new position
    - <Release lock>

And episode change-overs would go as:

- Episode ends
    - <Acquire lock>
    - Start new episode
    - <Release lock>

Of course, I am not familiar enough with how Android media handles these sorts of things to know whether that's how things work, but it definitely seems like a race condition. It might be sufficient to put the player into some invalid state so that button presses are ignored during the transition rather than using locks.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by mjt View Post
    I was hoping this would be fixed in this new update, but it hasn't been. When I'm at the end of an episode I bang on the >> button several times to jump over the credits and go to the next episode. This used to jump through some of the opening of the next episode or beginning advertising, but since the previous update and now also with .40 it skips over the next episode entirely at times. What I've noticed is that the play position doesn't get reset when it goes to that new episode. So in I'm at 10 minutes on a short podcast and press >> then it might start the next episode at 11 minutes in because it added 30 seconds to the timestamp of the last episode and then went to the new episode and jumped to that new time. What it should be doing is starting the next episode, resetting the timestamp to 0:0 and then adding 30 seconds and jumping to 0:30. If I have an hour podcast and the next thing in the queue is a shorter podcast it jumps over the whole thing entirely. For the previous release I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't fix the issue.
    Hello, I will report this to development for a further look into the issue. They may ask for more information from you regarding the issue, and if so, I will request that from you. Thank you for reporting.

This went away a while ago. I think it was fixed in .41 even though .41 brought in a lot of other issues.

Hi, I do not have this problem anymore so it has been fixed