Thread: BeyondPod wiping out my Feedly feed

BeyondPod wiping out my Feedly feed

In trying to reset the state of my BeyondPod, I removed and re-added (re-imported) the Feedly feed. After doing so and updating, it caused my entire Feedly feed to be wiped out (marked as read). This is a pretty nasty/critical bug. This is causing me a major headache in the form of data loss (I have pretty extensive feeds and need to now go through my entire history to figure out what I have / haven't listened to).

(It may be due to Feedly being aware of the feed items after re-adding as items it had seen before in the past, causing it to think they are "played" (I see "Replay Episode" buttons for those items), thus on the subsequent update it syncs up to Feedly the wrong state.)

Furthermore, there's no tractable way of resetting the state of this feed / downloading all the episodes, short of going through and pressing "Replay Episode" on several hundred items.

As context: I originally tried removing and re-adding a feed because BP was freezing/crashing trying to update this feed (eventually resulting in many feed items simply named "SoundGecko-*"). Was able to see this freezing/crashing replicated on two completely different phones, FWIW.

Running on Android 5 on Nexus 5.
    Last edited by yang; 01-14-2015 at 03:18 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    For Feedly feeds, BeyondPod relies entirely on information from Feedly about the Read or Starred status (e.g it does not track that internally but rather shows whatever Feedly provides to us). Feedly (being mostly app for news), does not handle well podcast feeds. It automatically considers every post that is older than 30 days as "read" which results it being displayed in BeyndPod as "Played" (Re-play). For those "old" items there is no way to make them un-read - even if you do that they show up again as "read" next time you update.

If you want to manage podcasts trough Feedly, you may find it useful to ignore the "read" status that Feedly supplies. You can find more information in http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...ips-and-tricks (it is the second bullet point).

I've actually been using BeyondPod + Feedly for a couple years so I get how the two work. I'm aware that Feedly auto-reads 30d-old items, and that BP syncs up with Feedly. I'm *not* looking to have BP ignore Feedly's read status—the original reason I purchased BP is because of its Feedly syncing feature (I consume my podcast feeds from multiple devices, and have no interest in manually keeping read status in sync across all of them).

The issue I'm writing about is real and IMO a critical bug. To reproduce it:

- Import a Feedly feed (containing unread items)
    - Remove it
    - Import it again (notice all items are now locally marked read)
    - Update

Voila, your entire feed is will be marked read.

Bump...any help would be greatly appreciated.

BeyondPod Team
    I tried the steps you listed above with a brand new feed (e.g. feed I have never subscribed before or downloaded episodes) and and could not replicate the effect you are describing.

What you describe can happen for episodes that you have previously downloaded. When you download an episode, BeyondPod adds the episode to a local download history. When you add a feed, from Feedly, if the episode from that feed was previously downloaded on the device, BeyondPod will detect that and consider episode as "played" (which in Feedly's world is equivalent with "Read").

In the cases where you need to delete and re-add a Feedly feed with episodes that were previously downloaded, and you don't want those posts marked as "read" you can clear the feed download history for the feed before deleting the feed. You can clear the feed download history by editing the feed > Advanced Settings > Clear Feed Download History. This way when you re-add it there will be no previous download history for the feed.

BeyondPod's Feedly integration is intended primary for text feeds and while it can be used for podcast feeds it certainly has many limitations (like the 30 day marked as read issue or the fact that Feedly doesn't support separate "downloaded/play position" information).

Thanks StefanK - makes sense, my default feed settings are to download many feed items.

Your answer is already quite helpful, but: is there a way to selectively clear my Download History? I don't wish to wipe out everything, as I have a number of older items on my other feeds that may be tricky to get at again (since they're also Feedly items but have past their 30d window).

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You clear the Download History per feed (at the bottom of the Advanced Feed Settings).