Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU use BeyondPod? Help shape future versions

My input

Well, while I'm happy to say that use of BeyondPod (BP) has totally revolutionized the way I get my daily information fix and drive to work, and that I'm quite impressed with BP's feature set, I must say that after about 4 months use of it, I have taken a loooong time to get used to its layout. I expect this is more of a consequence of the cramped touchscreen environment coupled with the extensive BP feature set, rather than any significant flaws in BPs UI design.

Firstly, I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S2 running ICS (CM9.1), with BP 3.0.37.

My desired usage pattern... that I'm trying to implement in BP, but am not sure if I'm wasting my time:
    I have about 15 feeds on my list. When all episodes listened to, and on wifi, I switch to feed view and refresh all feeds. Then go into each feed to browse the list of new episodes and add desired episodes to the playlist. When finished doing this for all feeds, I tell BP to download all episodes in the playlist. When the download is done, I close BP and then when next in the car, show the episode list, and start playing my way through them, with auto-delete-and-play-next, occasionally locking ones I want more from later. Because of the number of feeds, and that many feeds have many or very long episodes, it can take me a month or so to get through them, so my repeat cycle on this is quite long, thus chance to practice it is fairly restricted.

Whenever navigating through the feeds/episodes/playlist I'm often scratching my head wondering why BP is doing things as it does... which is not helped by the lack of flyovers (context-sensetive help when hovering over window elements/lists) that one gets on a PC. I must say that I do find the intricate layout of the different windows/panes to be rather non-intuitive. Yes, I've gone over the screen descriptions on the BP website, and they do make sense, but I still find it relatively awkward.

I have looked through the online doco, FAQ, tips etc a few times, but have yet to trawl through these forums for answers to the wierd-bits.

Anyway, thanks for the wicked product

Stu.

My use pattern

I don't use categories. I update at 4am. I always download, never stream. I never read text feeds. I only want BP to automatically keep my playlist topped up with the most recent episodes.

There are a million settings which seem cool, but they just confuse me. The three dot menu *inside* a three dot menu is hard to understand. I wish there was some indication that automatic update is "on", because sometimes just stops working.

The layout and menus confuse me. It is not obvious to me what the highest level is, menu wise. I often wander, just trying to get to a "play" button.

I wish you well with the program, but I wish it were more intuitive.

Cheers,

Tom

I guess my use pattern is not terribly complicated:

- I have ten audio subscriptions, three video. I don't expect these numbers to increase much.
    - I download everything, no streaming.
    - I listen/watch during commutes mostly, and always oldest first.
    - I sometimes cannot watch videos, so I skip them and watch them later.
    - I want to archive certain interesting episodes.

What would help me:

- If I pick and play an episode by hand (normally 40 minutes news videos), either leave the play list entirely unaffected or splice the episode in, but leave the rest. In other words, replace the current "Make this the playlist and play" button with a "add this to playlist and play" button.
    - Essentially, I don't need a playlist. I always either play the episode list, oldest first; or I play individual episodes and want to leave the playlist untouched.
    - Add "Stop after this" and "Skip to end and stop" buttons in the player.
    - Just skip over videos if the screen is off. My device seems to be aware whether or not it's in a pocket, so possibly that could be used.
    - (Optionally) always skip to the oldest entry in the playlist.
    - Offer an archive function, which would move the episode from $beyondpod/Podcasts/$cast/$episode to $archive/$cast/$episode. After this, the episode would not be touched by any of BP's automatic processes, and would not count against any limit.
    - I would love to be able to create useful filenames, but I will put that in a different post.
    Last edited by yooden; 03-27-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Two features I'd like to see:
    -A "mark all as read" button when viewing all feeds. I tend to acquire a lot of unread posts and it's tedious to mark as read podcast-by-podcast.
    -The ability to set up auto update for a specific day of the week and time. Currently, I have to wait until that day of the week, then set up the auto update for the category before the time I want to schedule it for.

I manage my podcasts elsewhere, use BeyondPod just for listening

I do ~1/2 my podcast listening on my PC, so I use iTunes for managing my podcasts.
    I subscribe to a pile of shows most download automatically but some I pick and choose which episodes to listen to.
    I have a smart playlist that sorts the unlistened to podcasts by Release Date.
    I use TuneSync to copy the files in the playlist over to my phone (and deletes the old files no longer on the playlist)
    I have a virtual feed scanning that folder, then I sort them from oldest to newest

the gripe is that when BeyondPod sorts from oldest to newest it uses the file's created date. I want stuff sorted by the Release Date.

I see two ways this could be fixed:

1. iTunes uses an extended tag 'RELEASETIME' to indicate when a podcast was released. Beyond bond could use this to sort by if the tag is present in the mp3 and otherwise default to the file's time stamp, or
    2. TuneSync also creates a .mu3 playlist. BeyondPod could import that, so long as it reloads it frequently since it the playlist is constantly shifting.

3. Ok, I said two, but there is a third, it's a bit harder to do though - Make a desktop client! I've been looking to dump iTunes for years, but nothing comes close for managing podcasts. The key features it would have to have before I would switch are:
    Smart playlists that can sort by release date
    Checkboxes - like the way iTunes uses them so I can skip past an episode for now and get back to it later
    Syncing between PC and Android (if it could sync playback position too, that would be double plus awesome)

Anyway this post ended up much longer than I was expecting, so I am just going to end it here

I use BeyondPod to listen to audio podcasts while I'm commuting to work each day. I also listen to audio podcasts while doing chores around the house, like mowing, hanging laundry, vacuuming, etc.

I also have several video feeds that I watch while I'm working or using my computer at home. I have a TV in kitchen/dining/living room area. I connect my phone to my TV with a HDMI cable and watch video podcasts while cooking, folding laundry, etc.

My wife and I have a shared data account on our mobile phone plan, so the scheduled downloading and WiFi only is very important to me. I have a 32 GB SD Card in my phone that I save all my BeyondPod data to. Every night at 3:00 AM, I have BeyondPod sync my feeds and download all the new stuff. I have a tablet also, so I've been using the Episode Sync quite a bit with it.

I like to switch between audio only podcasts (while I commute, work, etc) and video casts (when I have access to a TV or am sitting still). I listen/watch in an oldest first playlist.

I have a GoogleTV and want to try using BeyondPod with it also, but I haven't tried it yet. (We are "cord-cutters" so a lot of the video I consume is via the internet) I also am considering trying some DLNA stuff with my phone.

I posted in the Suggestion Forum also, but I wish there were some sort of "remote control" that I could use with my phone while it is hooked up to the TV across the room. I have a pebble, but the "skip" buttons skip to the next podcast and not time ahead in the current podcast. I mostly want to skip ahead to get past commercials that some podcasts have.

Your great app is my audio/radio lead app in my phone i'm also recommend it to everyone to all my friends.

1. Most of the use is in the car so i suggest "Dashboard state" (big buttons, disabling lock screen, maybe also auto BT connection) like other music apps has.

2. While driving it's so complicated to ff (fast forward) the podcast. I need to turn on the screen & to press on the widget button, it will be great if I'll able to define the volume buttons to ff the podcast.

I also listen to it with my BT (Sony DR-BTN200M) headphones but the ff/rewind buttons do nothing - if it will

support, it will be great.

Tomer

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by t0410 View Post
    Most of the use is in the car ...
    Thank you for your feedback. I've opened a new thread to discuss your points. Much of what you're requesting is already possible.

I would like to see one smart list that lists all new aka unplaced episodes in one place, as they are played, they get deleted and the list automatically picks up the any episodes. This was done in the old I tunes player and worked very well.

There are too many places to do too many things. Blue dot shoud be the standard unplaced icon, new episodes shoud e automatically downloaded and deleted when done.

I find that feedly flags override beyondpod flags so that things I have listened to, get re flagged as un read. Really, really annoying. Feedly integration also is a bit unpredictable in that some episodes of a podcast download and some, apparently exactly te same format, are unplayable.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonovan View Post
    I would like to see one smart list that lists all new aka unplaced episodes in one place, as they are played, they get deleted and the list automatically picks up the any episodes. This was done in the old I tunes player and worked very well.
    For that, you just need 1 SmartPlay rule:
    Start with oldest 50 episodes of Category All Feeds

Combined with "After Playing" set to Delete and Play Next, and "When playlist ends" set to Restart SmartPlay, you'll play all your episodes in order. Your SmartPlay list will also get updated to add new episodes to the end when they get downloaded (or set to stream, if that's how you have your feeds set up).