Thread: 100 Episode limit?

Question 100 Episode limit?

Hello All,

I have a podcast with 275 episodes, but BeyondPod only shows the latest 100 episodes. Is there a way to get BeyondPod to show the older episodes?

-TM

BeyondPod Team
    Most likely we're showing all the episodes in the current feed provided by the publisher. However Google archives feed items that are no longer part of the publishers current feed. You can see the episodes Google has archived by syncing the feed with Google Reader (edit feed>sync with google reader) and set the # of feed items to 300 (or more).

If this does not seem to be the issue post the >feed< URL and we'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by tzalmaves View Post
    Hello All,

I have a podcast with 275 episodes, but BeyondPod only shows the latest 100 episodes. Is there a way to get BeyondPod to show the older episodes?

-TM

I have the same issue. I am not connected to Google Reader and sometimes the feed will have the whole archive (~280 episodes) and other times (usually when I manually update it) it will have 100 + the number I have downloaded (right now it's at 110). I don't see how an RSS feed would sometimes have all the shows and other times it will be only 100 and with it not connected to Google Reader, how can it get more than 100 if it isn't in the feed itself?

The feed I'm referring to is http://nerdist.libsyn.com/rss. If I look at it in firefox, it does only have 100 episodes so I don't why I can sometimes see more if the only way it can get more is through google reader. If I reboot the app or my phone, it usually resets to having all 280-ish eps but if I manually refresh the list, it goes back to 100. Does your app pull a master list from somewhere else during the auto-updating? If so, it would be nice for it to do that all the time.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    BeyondPod will always return all of whatever's in the feed when it checks it. When I looked at it in Firefox, I could see all 282 episodes (right back to episode 1).

It may be that the publisher makes a different amount of episodes available on the feed at different times, or under different circumstances. They may, for instance, host it on two different servers, using the more expensive but higher bandwidth one just after feeds are released, but only keeping the most recent 100 there, with the full feed on a cheaper lower capacity server at other times. Or maybe it just arbitrarily picks one or the other. Only the publisher will really know why you sometimes get the full feed and sometimes only a subset.

I suspect that your reboots have been coincidental with servers changing (or maybe has resulted in clearing a cached server address for the high capacity / limited content server). Unfortunately, there's not much BeyondPod can do about this.

Thanks for the update. Also, great job with the app. I purchased the paid copy because I was using it so much; keep up the good work.

Oh, now that I'm thinking about it, I have also seen it clear by "read/unread" settings when the feed updated between 100 and 282 and it forgets which ones I've listened to. (I think it's when that happens; I've seen it a couple times now).

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    That may also depend on whether there are any other differences between the two versions of the feed. If the feed supports GUID, that's probably the best method to use for Duplicate Detection (Edit Feed and find it in "More Settings"). You may also find it helps to switch off "Force Unique Names" if you currently have it set.

it's likely the feed is being generated by php/mysql or similar on the server and the process is timing out sometimes and disconnecting.
    Nexus 4| The L Preview | BP evo