Thread: It was a good run

It was a good run

Since I bought Beyondpod about 7 years ago, it has been one of my most used apps. Working from home, I listen to A LOT of podcasts. It's very unfortunate that almost every core feature has stopped working. I can no longer cast, back up, update, and now it has stopped playing in the background. As much as I've put it off this past year hoping that things would improve, I have to move to podcast addict.

Someone else on these forms mentioned that if you do have some kind of contract with these overseas developers, they would almost certainly be in breach of it at this point, having not delivered any core fixes since this time last year. If BeyondPod has any hope of continuing to have a userbase, I would highly recommend that you get out of that contact, and find a better team to make the necessary fixes.

I love this helpful community and really do hope things improve! I wish all of you here, and at team BeyondPod, my very best.

Yeah. I need to second all of that.
    I just spent a few days migrating everything off of BP for the same reasons.
    I tried PocketCasts, but apparently since the version 7 update, it has been pretty bad there too. Just didn't have the features.

Podcast Addict though... that seems to be a viable alternative that actually works.
    I'm sad to go... BP used to be the best one out there.. but with all the bugs, and absolutely zero dev effort, I just can't keep putting up with it and hoping it gets fixed.

If the bugs are driving you nuts too, you might want to switch as well. It wasn't as painful as I had expected it to be.

I think the thing holding me back is SmartPlay. In particular, I have a whole bunch of feeds I'm way behind on, so I have a category called Queue that has all of them, set to download one episode at a time, in order from oldest to newest, as well as a few feeds of news that only download the newest episodes and delete anything older than a day. Then my SmartPlay list starts with the 6 most recent episodes of news, and then 10 random episodes from Queue. Every time I've tried to get something like that in a different podcast app, I get stuck at some point or another, give up, and go back to BeyondPod.

I am evaluating podcast addict this weekend. The playlist is not nearly as powerful but if it will just keep my favorite podcasts at the top I will be happy. I am spending way to much time dealing with beyond pod bugs. I may have to pause a podcast many times and it is frustrating to not have it restart half of the time. I got my money's worth out of beyond pod and would have paid for a new major version but I have better things to do than to constantly mess with the app so I can listen to my podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by adamlopresto View Post
    I think the thing holding me back is SmartPlay. In particular, I have a whole bunch of feeds I'm way behind on, so I have a category called Queue that has all of them, set to download one episode at a time, in order from oldest to newest, as well as a few feeds of news that only download the newest episodes and delete anything older than a day. Then my SmartPlay list starts with the 6 most recent episodes of news, and then 10 random episodes from Queue. Every time I've tried to get something like that in a different podcast app, I get stuck at some point or another, give up, and go back to BeyondPod.
    My playlist requirements are a lot simpler than that, I just need the oldest episode from several different feeds put into a chronological list which PocketCasts does beautifully with zero issues. Only thing I miss is auto-rebuilding playlists when new episodes are downloaded, right now you have to re-create the playlist every time (usually once a week for my use case)

I'm considering BP abandonware at this point. Since updating to Android 10 it's crashing constantly viewing sites through an RSS feed.

My podcast addict playlist updates when new episodes are downloaded. I make sure the important podcasts have higher priority and assign a different priority to each one.

Great Idea, I'll try to do that for my important podcasts.

Last edited by escobarrr; 09-13-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Roughly 8 years ago, the podcast (or netcast for the anti-Apple crowd) was born from the idea of a content delivery system for portable media players. Now, spread across the web, are millions of these digital broadcasts, containing both audio and video, coming from amateurs and professionals alike. With so listening/viewing content available, good tools (apps) for finding, filtering, subscribing, downloading, and playing are a must. Especially for junkies of this media type. And that is where ACast, MyPod, BeyondPod, and many others come in.
    I chose these three apps out of a large variety that are available for Android devices because they offer similar features across different price points but with differing interfaces. Unlike some of my previous comparative reviews for audiobook managers, I specifically wanted to look at apps whose UI were distinctly different from each other. To me and others, features are great and all, but they are near worthless is they are a pain to use on full time basis. For the most part, I want to touch on how each of these apps differ more than how they are the same.