Thread: External SD Card not writable from BeyondPod

External SD Card not writable from BeyondPod

I have just gotten a Galaxy S10 Plus using Android 9 with BeyondPod version 4.2.41. I transferred all my podcasts over from my old phone and I've got a quite large SDHC card where I keep all my podcasts and other media. BP automatically detects the pre-existing installation and uses it - great! But the problem is that I cannot update any feeds or delete anything (the deletion succeeds but the files persist, so the deleted episode still show up as ghosts of some sort when I restart BeyondPod).

I believe the issue is that BeyondPod has requested access to the SD card, but it hasn't asked for the Scoped storage LegacyExternalStorage permission to use that specific folder, and so the folder is read-only. I have considered allowing the storage to be moved into the dedicated BeyondPod storage area, but I'm mildly concerned about the fact that the data would be cleared if I ever have to delete and re-install BeyondPod.

Is there some better way to fix this? Do other people have this same problem?

Edit: I think it's Scoped Storage, not Storage Access Framework, that BeyondPod needs to request
    Last edited by PaulG; 10-21-2019 at 02:55 PM.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I have just gotten a Galaxy S10 Plus using Android 9 with BeyondPod version 4.2.41. I transferred all my podcasts over from my old phone and I've got a quite large SDHC card where I keep all my podcasts and other media. BP automatically detects the pre-existing installation and uses it - great! But the problem is that I cannot update any feeds or delete anything (the deletion succeeds but the files persist, so the deleted episode still show up as ghosts of some sort when I restart BeyondPod).

I believe the issue is that BeyondPod has requested access to the SD card, but it hasn't asked for the Scoped storage LegacyExternalStorage permission to use that specific folder, and so the folder is read-only. I have considered allowing the storage to be moved into the dedicated BeyondPod storage area, but I'm mildly concerned about the fact that the data would be cleared if I ever have to delete and re-install BeyondPod.

Is there some better way to fix this? Do other people have this same problem?

Edit: I think it's Scoped Storage, not Storage Access Framework, that BeyondPod needs to request
    Please see the following link on our BeyondPod Support site referring to External SD Cards: http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...-what-can-i-do

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Please see the following link on our BeyondPod Support site referring to External SD Cards: http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...-what-can-i-do
    Yes, I'm aware of this. In the past I worked around this differently because I have a rooted phone and I just re-enabled SD Card writes, but those workarounds don't work at the moment for Android Pie. What I am saying is that I'm fairly certain there is another solution to this that BeyondPod can implement, wherein it will ask for permission to read and modify specific directories on the SD card. Photo gallery apps like F-stop, for example, request this permission. For example, I believe that Keepass2AndroidOffline (link goes to Github source) requests scoped permission to read and write in the folder that the Keepass database is stored in, and in the settings on Android 9 it looks like this:

Screenshot_20191022-102918_Settings.jpg

BeyondPod is only using the "owned" scoped storage. It would be nice to be able to use the "non-owned" scoped external storage - though admittedly the case is more pressing for things like SyncThing, Photo apps and KeePass, where two or more applications might want access to the data than it is for BeyondPod.