Thread: Player is automatically pausing

Player is automatically pausing

After several years of reliable performance on several different phones my Beyond Pod player has started pausing itself shortly after the lock screen appears or I switch to another app screen.

The only way I found to keep it from doing this is to keep the Beyond Pod screen open and tap the phone intermittently to prevent it from locking.

I'm running BeyondPod on a Samsung Galaxy 9+ with the latest version of Android.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathantroll@gmail.com View Post
    After several years of reliable performance on several different phones my Beyond Pod player has started pausing itself shortly after the lock screen appears or I switch to another app screen.

The only way I found to keep it from doing this is to keep the Beyond Pod screen open and tap the phone intermittently to prevent it from locking.

I'm running BeyondPod on a Samsung Galaxy 9+ with the latest version of Android.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan
    This seems to be an Android setting that is putting the app to sleep when the device screen is not active. You will need to change your device settings to allow BP to stay awake.

Settings>device care>battery>beyond pod> then turn off "put app to sleep"**

Now, the above only seems to fix the issue if you are listening directly on the device but it doesn't seem to fix the issue when listening through bluetooth, so developers are collecting information to find a fix for that specific situation. If this relates to you, please send your logs for development to take a look at your data:

To send log files, go to BP Settings>> Menu Overflow (3 dot icon in the top right corner) >> View Logs >> Choose the logs "Android" and "BeyondPod" (these steps will need to be taken for each log separately) >> Menu overflow >> Email.

Please make sure to include a brief description of your issue with each log so development knows what report to match your logs to.

I'm using 4.2.41 (not beta) and for me the pausing has gotten worse in the last few weeks in particular. It happens when playing through bluetooth headphones, speaker and Android Auto but not when playing through the phone's own speaker. I always download episodes, I have pause on notification setting turned off and have added BP to Apps that won't be put to sleep in power management settings.

I am using v4.3.8 and since upgrading to this version I have been experiencing the player pausing and stopping when using the "virtual feed" folder with MP3 files in my Playlist.
    It only does this after it completes playing an item in one of these folders and usually when it should play another item from same folder.
    It is intermittent and does this maybe 25% of the time. I did not notice it until I upgraded to this latest version.

Every time this happens, I also see in the BeyondPod Log this entry:

(the latest entry)
    6/17/20 19:42:26: MediaPlayBackJobIntent (4.3.8) -
    MediaPlayBackJobIntent - is taking too long to load !
    Giving Up!

Does anybody on here know what I can do to address this problem?
    I went back to the previous version and it started doing it with it also, so I came back to this present version I am using now.
    Thank you to anyone for advise.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewatrous View Post
    I am using v4.3.8 and since upgrading to this version I have been experiencing the player pausing and stopping when using the "virtual feed" folder with MP3 files in my Playlist.
    It only does this after it completes playing an item in one of these folders and usually when it should play another item from same folder.
    It is intermittent and does this maybe 25% of the time. I did not notice it until I upgraded to this latest version.

Every time this happens, I also see in the BeyondPod Log this entry:

(the latest entry)
    6/17/20 19:42:26: MediaPlayBackJobIntent (4.3.8) -
    MediaPlayBackJobIntent - is taking too long to load !
    Giving Up!

Does anybody on here know what I can do to address this problem?
    I went back to the previous version and it started doing it with it also, so I came back to this present version I am using now.
    Thank you to anyone for advise.
    Hello,

I am unable to reproduce this issue myself using a virtual folder with mp3s. What device and version of Android are you using? Do you experience pausing through bluetooth listening or when listening on a device? Do you have pausing when listening to feeds not added by a virtual feed?

Quote Originally Posted by KimW View Post
    Hello,

I am unable to reproduce this issue myself using a virtual folder with mp3s. What device and version of Android are you using? Do you experience pausing through bluetooth listening or when listening on a device? Do you have pausing when listening to feeds not added by a virtual feed?
    Thank you for your interest in my problem and for your reply, KimW.
    I am using a Google Pixel 4 and the latest Android version, v10.
    It is when listening through the phone, though I have experienced it over my bluetooth once or twice when in my car as well.
    I never had any problems of it pausing when listening to podcasts that have been added by BeyondPod - only when listening to an MP3 that is in a Virtual Feed folder. These are the same MP3 songs that I had been using before this latest BeyondPod upgrade last month and I never experienced any problems at all before.
    Instead of going to the next episode on my Playlist, it simply stops and the BeyondPod app closes - not just pause.
    This occurs intermittently only after a Virtual Feed MP3 ends. It usually plays the next episode fine but it stops several times a day and it is a nuisance to have to log back into my phone to start BeyondPod again.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewatrous View Post
    Thank you for your interest in my problem and for your reply, KimW.
    I am using a Google Pixel 4 and the latest Android version, v10.
    It is when listening through the phone, though I have experienced it over my bluetooth once or twice when in my car as well.
    I never had any problems of it pausing when listening to podcasts that have been added by BeyondPod - only when listening to an MP3 that is in a Virtual Feed folder. These are the same MP3 songs that I had been using before this latest BeyondPod upgrade last month and I never experienced any problems at all before.
    Instead of going to the next episode on my Playlist, it simply stops and the BeyondPod app closes - not just pause.
    This occurs intermittently only after a Virtual Feed MP3 ends. It usually plays the next episode fine but it stops several times a day and it is a nuisance to have to log back into my phone to start BeyondPod again.
    Please send your logs for development to take a look at your data for any clues:
    To send log files, go to BP Settings>> Menu Overflow (3 dot icon in the top right corner) >> View Logs >> Choose the logs "Android" and "BeyondPod" (these steps will need to be taken for each log separately) >> Menu overflow >> Email.

Please make sure to include a brief description of your issue with each log so development knows what report to match your logs to.

Thank you, KimW.
    I will do that as soon as I experience the problem again.
    It happens intermittently and I can't reproduce it myself on purpose.

June 20:
    It didn't pause at all yesterday, but it did occur in about an hour or so this morning.
    I sent in both logs.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by mikewatrous; 06-20-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Happy to see that it's working for you now

Would be nice to get mine fixed. It still pauses intermittently.
    It did it several times yesterday.