Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Young Turks Issue

BeyondPod Team
    Julie is correct. Neither the ticket system nor Google itself received any responses from you after the August 14th reply from us. Since we received nothing more from you, there was nothing for us to respond to.

Quote Originally Posted by ljw View Post

I responded back to that Aug 14th, Aug. 18th and finally at Aug 20th w/o receiving a response.

I then turned to posting on the forum

I responded to every email I got. I reviewed my outlook sent folder to get the dates that I listed in my previous post. They all went back to support@beyondpod.com. In case it matters my ticket number seemed to change during this. I believe I only took out 2 tickets,

Opened Aug. 9th, last received response Aug. 9th
    Ticket ID: FEF-606-37850
    Subject: cannot download podcasts anymore
    Department: BeyondPod For Android
    Type: Issue
    Priority: Normal

Opened Aug. 10, never received response
    Ticket ID: JXM-251-64283
    Subject: Cant view open ticket and no longer getting response for help
    Department: BeyondPod For Android
    Type: Issue
    Priority: Normal

BUT I did get a response email under this ticket ([#GQE-248-59513]: I have a problem with BeyondPod) which I didn't recognize but it included an email I sent under the FEF-606-37850 ticket. For that email I received 1 additional response on Aug. 14th:

Basically there are two problems.

The first problem is that we are reporting the error incorrectly. Its an error in our logic that we believe has to do with the fact that the feed is on feedburner/google servers. The perception was exacerbated by the fact that you had just changed Google accounts so the error seemed related. Very sorry that this led everyone down the wrong path, this will be fixed in the next version.

The 2nd problem is there is an authorization issue (the actual error is a 401).

Usually authorization works one of two ways - 1) through the user/pass fields in the feed properties (edit feed) which is the most basic type or 2) you have to enter your credentials via the mobile browser first. This 2nd authorization is often tied to the IP address which can mean you have to enter it again if your IP changes (so these are best downloaded on home wifi where the ip remains relatively static).

Which (according to my outlook sent folder) I responded to Aug. 14, Aug. 16 and Aug. 20 w/o any responses.

I've checked junk mail and deleted mail. I've no idea what could have happened to your responses. Anyway, at this point I don't care about that anymore since I'm now getting awesome response from beyondpod support.

Could you give Stephan this piece of info. I'm including info from the TYT site. Essentially, when they were manually creating the RSS feeds beyondpod was correctly downloading the podcast. When they went back to the automated feeds that was when I was seeing the issue. (I did include this piece of info in one of the lost responses)

Based on a members suggestion, for the past few days we manually created the RSS feeds so that iTunes would work properly while we investigated what was going on with the automated one. The FeedBurner original feed was updated – which is what was causing you to unsubscribe and re-subscribe. The original problem has now been resolved! So the good news is, the podcasts will be updated quickly and with few exceptions should be done in time for us to all get our TYT fix early in the morning.
    While we solved the issue much earlier today, we have taken the time to test with as many computers, browsers and operating systems as we possibly could as to not release prematurely. With all the issues we have faced lately, the last thing we wanted was yet another false start. Hopefully this will resolve all podcasting issues – and as always – we’ll be carefully watching the results and feedback.
    So here is what to expect:
    The link to the member feed has not changed. It is still:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TYTmembers
    iTunes users: The behind-the-scenes link has now been pointed back to the original RSS feed. For those iTunes users – that means you’ll once again (and hopefully for the last time) need to unsubscribe and re-subscribe using the FeedBurner link above.
    The new system does use authentication. What that means is that no matter what system you use, before it downloads the podcasts it will ask you for a username and password. Please use the same username and password that you use to access this tytnetwork.com website.
    While we’re not out of the woods – I think we can finally see daylight. For the past many days we have entrenched ourselves to resolve several issues, including (but not limited to) the dreadfully slow speed issues, database timeout issues, constant iTunes feed failures, SSL redirect loops, etc.
    All that has kept us very busy (and contrary to a few comments of understandably frustrated members – we have certainly not just gone home – even over the weekends). We’re still a small group – not a large corporation – and have limited resources. You deserve to be updated – and we’ll continue to keep you updated front and center on the website itself. We take the time whenever possible to catch up on comments, and provide direct email response (feedback@tytnetwork.com) for those that need immediate attention. Membership issues can also email us at producer@theyoungturks.com.
    Thank you again for all your continued support.
    ~Kimani, your TYT Community Ambassador

[Update Saturday, Auguest 8, 2012]
    As a few members have pointed out, Android-based podcasting is not authenticating correctly (DoggCatcher, BeyondPod, etc). We’ll keep you posted on the status of this issue so that Android users can download the podcasts.

[Update Thursday, August 16, 2012]
    Still no Android success as of yet. BeyondPod responded with some discouraging news, but we haven’t given up. This is one a of a few important issues we’re working on and will continue to keep you updated when there is some sort of breakthrough.
    Kimani is working diligently to reply to all of your emails. This will take some time due to the sheer multitude, but we are working on it. If he doesn’t respond right away, please don’t send him the same email again. If you are having trouble accessing member content, please include your electronic receipt and your member log in information in an email to feedback@tytnetwork.com

Oh, BTW, I've got jury duty tomorrow so I probably won't be responding until my evening.

BeyondPod Team
    I spent some time debugging the issue with failed authentications for TYT episodes. For some strange reason when BeyondPod tries to authenticate it receives an error "Bad Request". From what I can tell debugging the interaction, there are 5 redirects that happen between the link in the feed and the final mp3 file. Here is the interaction as recorded from the Chrome browser (in simplified form):

-1-
    => GET http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TYTme...-20120820A.mp3 HTTP/1.1
    <= 301 Redirect to: http://www.tytnetwork.com/wp-content...-20120820A.mp3

-2-
    => GET http://www.tytnetwork.com/wp-content...-20120820A.mp3 HTTP/1.1
    301 Redirect to: http://www.tytnetwork.com/?s2member_...-20120820A.mp3

-3-
    => GET http://www.tytnetwork.com/?s2member_...-20120820A.mp3 HTTP/1.1
    <== HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

-4-
    => GET http://www.tytnetwork.com/?s2member_...-20120820A.mp3 HTTP/1.1
    Authorization: Basic [XX.....XX]
    <== 302 Redirect to: http://tytmember.s3.amazonaws.com/ty...fAarXNUY81E%3D

-5-
    => GET http://tytmember.s3.amazonaws.com/ty...fAarXNUY81E%3D HTTP/1.1
    <== HTTP/1.1 200 OK

For some reason when BeyondPod makes the request #-4- it receives response "400 Bad Request" and I am not sure why. Maybe we don's supply some required cookies or there is something else in the request the server does not like.

If anyone knows somebody at the TYT site and can put us in touch with their development team, it will be very helpful. May be they can shed some insight on what they require for correct authentication and hopefully we can implement it on the BeyondPod side.

Stefan

Their general email is feedback@tytnetwork.com

I'll try to get a more direct email for you

Additional emails to try: webdev@tytnetwork.com or mark@tytnetwork.com

Please let me know if you are unable to get a rely from TYT.

BeyondPod Team
    After some extensive debugging I was able to get to the bottom of what is going on and craft a workaround (that seems to work... at least on the several devices I tested it).

The main issue turned out to be that Amazon S3 servers that end up serving the final file did not like the Authentication headers we were sending them. The solution was to conditionally strip the Authentication headers when making requests to the Amazon servers. (I will be glad to provide more info on the solution if somebody is interested).

The fix is incorporated in the latest Beta 3.0.25 (available here). Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Stefan

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!! I was finally able to download

Is it ok to post that link on the TYT forums for the other beyondpod users? We've been busting TYT's chops for 3 weeks because of this.

BeyondPod Team
    Yes you can, but please warn them that this is a BETA build and may have some quirks. If something unexpected comes up, please ask them to post it to the Beta forum.

Stefan