Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloaded Episodes Won't Play

Downloaded Episodes Won't Play

I've been trying to listen to the "Your Book is Why Daddy Drinks" podcast, but after downloading an episode, BeyondPod treats it like it's a streaming link and won't play the episode, showing "Preparing playback... (100%) Connecting to whydaddydrinks.podbean.com ..." It then will not play, apparently waiting for something. Otherwise, it plays a lot of other podcasts just fine. I only saw this problem once before when I tried to play "Old Jews Telling Jokes," but I chalked that up to it being a video podcast.

That has happened to me if the download is scheduled (when a category is updated) but the download fails because I've wandered out of WiFi range. Deleting the episode and marking it as unread, then downloading either manually or automatically appears to work.

I downloaded the first episode of this podcast and it started up just fine. I found two feeds for this podcast (whydaddydrinks.podbean.net/feed/ and whydaddydrinks.net/?feed=rss2, which includes non-podcast entries), so if a problem persists, perhaps switching between them might help.

I've had issues with other apps because I ride commuter rail, and while the train's WiFi signal is strong, the connectivity drops in several places along the route. I suspect that Android doesn't signal things like that properly, even though the WiFi icon on the status line properly goes from blue to gray and back...

Sadly, that didn't help. I've tried both, and I've tried the deletion and redownload suggestion. It didn't work. Either feed behaves this way.

I have also tried downloading the .mp3 file from the website via the browser, and I found that the built-in Android player does not play the file either. I then found a player on Google Play that claims a wide variety of codecs. I am wondering if perhaps the codec is the problem. If so, is there somewhere in the BeyondPod folder structure that I could put codec files? Keep in mind that I have rooted my phone, so I should be able to get any file anywhere I want.

Does this happen with a specific episode? I only downloaded the first.

No specific episodes, no. Perhaps, it varies by phone and/or carrier (not that this would make much sense.) I'm using a Galaxy s3 on AT&T's network. Episodes were downloaded on a university wifi connection.

I notice that this is the only podcast I see that uses RIFF/WAVE format, so perhaps a different codec or player is in order. I seem to have the codec already (running ICS/CM9), as the default player works for me. Googling various combinations of "Android codec install riff" finds lots of dead ends, complaints, and misleading lures, so I'm out of solid advice at this point.

I can't even identify which codec I have that might be the right one.

Good luck! Please let us know how it works out.
    Last edited by Dennis Rockwell; 08-22-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: rewording

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoboy View Post
    I have also tried downloading the .mp3 file from the website via the browser, and I found that the built-in Android player does not play the file either. I then found a player on Google Play that claims a wide variety of codecs. I am wondering if perhaps the codec is the problem. If so, is there somewhere in the BeyondPod folder structure that I could put codec files? Keep in mind that I have rooted my phone, so I should be able to get any file anywhere I want.
    BeyondPod uses the built-in Android player, so if that won't play it, then BeyondPod won't be able to either.

However, if you can find an external player that will play it, you can tell BeyondPod to "Play in External Player".

Julie

Okay, I told BeyondPod to "Play in External Player," but it doesn't have a selector for which player. Is this something that's more of a universal Android preference?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    From memory, I'm fairly certain that it will ask you what you want to use next time you play it. If not, post back and I'll investigate further.

I just selected the option, and it did not prompt me or anything. It behaves exactly as before.