Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-add all (included played) from feed to playlist?

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    If enough people are interested, we'll certainly consider it. Another option might be to have a similar function to Episode Cleanup which would allow you to mark one or more episodes as unread. That way you can tell how far through your course you've got, but still be able to easily resurrect certain episodes for listening again.
    I registered just to reply to this. I am interested in some better way to manage music, especially individual songs, on BeyondPod. Right now I have all my music folders set to some insanely high number of songs to keep so that they don't get deleted when read. Since I can't listen to songs more than once on BeyondPod, I listen to my music podcasts in PowerAmp using folders, which lets me delete songs I don't like and keep the ones I do. But I'd rather find a smoother way to do this, especially because PowerAmp isn't great at showing me the newest music first and BeyondPod doesn't love it when I delete the songs using another app. Plus, PowerAmp doesn't have a good way to listen to all my new songs at once the way BeyondPod does.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by yacht_boy View Post
    Right now I have all my music folders set to some insanely high number of songs to keep so that they don't get deleted when read.
    If your songs are in a Virtual Feed in BeyondPod, there is an option to prevent BeyondPod from marking episodes as read. As it also prevents BP from remembering how far through the item you have got, the options is somewhat confusingly named Save Played Position. If you untick this option, BP will never mark items in this feed as read.

You can also (just above it) untick the box labelled Allow Episode Deletions- this option is also available under More Settings for standard feeds, and will prevent episodes from being deleted except when you explicitly choose them to delete, and confirm using Delete Locked Episodes.

HTH
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    If your songs are in a Virtual Feed in BeyondPod
    I don't think my songs are in a virtual feed. These are songs downloaded from real feeds. My music from other sources doesn't get imported into BeyondPod.

Thanks,

Jason

I would like to be able to mark all items as unplayed. I don't understand how to create a virtual feed either. It just seems simpler to allow making a real feed subject to the reset positio . you are saying that I have to manually copy new episodes over to the virtual every time a new one comes out.
    Can I just use beyond pod to download and get someone to recommend a player with a simple interface that has a clear menu item 'mark all unlistened'.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by r5regan View Post
    I would like to be able to mark all items as unplayed. I don't understand how to create a virtual feed either.
    Virtual feeds are just a way to allow BeyondPod to access audio files that already exist in a folder on your storage, and which don't actually have a real RSS feed (so that you could, if you wanted to, use BeyondPod as a music player), so they aren't appropriate for anything that you are already retrieving from a feed that does exist.

Can I just use beyond pod to download and get someone to recommend a player with a simple interface that has a clear menu item 'mark all unlistened'.
    You could tick Share Podcasts in the Playlist and Widget Settings (so that Google Music can see your podcasts), and use the Google Music Player to play the episodes. To get there, it's Menu | More... | Settings | Playist and Widget Settings. Note that this will make all your podcasts visible in Google Music.

Alternatively, you could use any Music player that allows you to pick a folder to play. I just searched the Play store for Music Player, and it appears that Music Folder Player (Free or Paid) is one possible option that will allow you to navigate to the relevant BeyondPod folder and play the contents without you having to share all your podcasts so that Google Music can see them.

HTH
    Julie

I'm definitely keen on having the functionality to UNREAD ALL added to BeyondPro. My usage is simply that I listen to a lot of podcasts in the background and as new episodes get downloaded, I simply want them added to an existing playlist and the only way an episode gets removed, is by me deleting/removing it.

Basically, if you could just click on an episode in the All Episodes filter of the Episodes tab and then BeyondPro continues to play all the episodes, including those played, that would be ideal. The iOS app DOWNCAST does this really well if you want to see an example.

Cheers!

BeyondPod Team
    Hi Milesey, and welcome to the forum.

Could you please clarify what you're trying to achieve? Do you WANT to have to remove episodes yourself, or are you saying that you currently HAVE to? As far as I can tell from your description, you're only listening to each podcast once, so there should be no need to mark an episode Unread/Unplayed, because you haven't yet played the ones you want to listen to.

To do what I think you're trying to do (i.e. just play all the new episodes that are on your device (or marked for streaming)), there are a number of ways to do it.

One way is to tick the box in the Playlist settings that says Automatic Playlist (the default is that it's ticked, but you may have unticked it at some point). Then, to play all the episodes you can see, in the order you see them, tap on the first one in the list. The rest will also be added to your playlist and played (assuming you also have After Playing set to either Do Nothing and Play Next or Delete and Play Next).

You could also use a SmartList (which can be updated automatically after a scheduled download to add the new episodes to your playlist - the rules you set for it will determine what happens to the other episodes that you haven't yet played), or use the Add all to Playlist icon (lines with a Plus symbol at the bottom of the screen) to add episodes to your playlist.

HTH
    Julie

Thanks for replying Julie - it's really appreciated. You've nearly understood me right, but when I said "the only way an episode gets removed, is by me deleting/removing it", I should have said that the only way I *want* an episode to be removed, is by me deleting/removing it. This means I may well play a podcast several times (because it's playing in the background) and will want to play it (and all the other podcasts) again later (when I'm paying more attention!).

The suggestions you give all work great EXCEPT that they don't add back the podcasts which have already been played.

So for example, I first refresh and download new podcasts. This leaves me with a mixture of podcasts which have already been played and some new unplayed podcasts. I can then add the new podcasts (Add All), and the new podcasts are added to the end of my playlist, but the already played podcasts get skipped during playing because they've already been played (you can see the play slider all the way to the right for each episode in the playlist). The alternative is to try using a Smartlist (or clear the playlist and Add All) but the already played podcasts do not get added at all to the playlist.

My guess is several solutions:

1. Option for a playlist to play already played (or partially played) podcasts.
    2. Option for a played podcast to reset itself to unplayed when fully played.
    3. Option to mark all or selected podcasts as unplayed.

Once I'm happy I've really listed to a podcast, I then would like to just delete it.

Hope that all makes sense!

Chris

BeyondPod Team
    OK. In each feed's settings, under Advanced Settings, there's a tick box that was originally intended for virtual music feeds (i.e. a folder containing music MP3 files) played in BP. It's "Save Played Position". The name of it harks back to its original use, which was basically to get BP to behave like a music player when playing these feeds. This does two things: It doesn't save where you've got to within the feed when you pause, and it also prevents BP from ever marking episodes in the feed as "Read/Played".

Will this do what you want?

Julie

Yes, I think that looks like my solution #2, in that once a podcast episode has played (or you skip to another podcast), the position is simply reset back to the beginning making it unplayed. This means when the playlist is rebuilt or just replayed, all episodes will always be played.

I've now changed all my other feeds (about 20) to untick "Save Played Position" and this is now working just as I wanted. New episodes get added to the rebuilt SmartPlay and the old episodes are still able to be played.

Thanks Julie, that's a great result! Looks like I can ditch the iPhone at last :-)

Chris