Thread: Support for Flattr payments to podcasters to show appreciation

Support for Flattr payments to podcasters to show appreciation

There is a system called 'Flattr' which enables micropayments to be made to content providers for content such such as blogs, podcasts etc.

The idea is that as a consumer of content you set up a Flattr account, into which you make a monthly payment, which may be fairly small. Content providers, authors, create their own Flattr account and embed a Flattr link in their content.

As a consumer of content, whenever you read or listen to content that you like, you can click the link to 'Flattr' that piece of content.

At the end of the month your monthly Flattr payment is divided up amongst all the content items that you 'flattrd' during the month. The Flatter accounts of those content providers are credited.

A Flatter account may be used both for Flattring others and for being Flattrd.

I would particularly like to be able to Flatter podcast episodes so that that the author know that their effort is appreciated, even if it's only a modest amount. Lots of modest amounts add up. At present I pay for very few if any of the podcasts I listen to, mainly because of the hassle of making payments through individual content providers sites. If I were able to make small, frequent payments to specific podcasts/episodes then the authors would benefit, as would my conscience

Some podcast apps are already implementing Flattr support, for example instacast for iPhone just announced Flattr support here.

Flatter provides some guidance to developers here.

Hey, you could even add a link to Flattr Beyondpod itself. Then as a user who has already paid for Beyondpod, I could make an additional small payment whenever I feel appreciative of your efforts, such as when a great new update is released.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Nice idea. The information for developers is actually a few clicks away from that link though. It's here and there's more on Flattr's own website.

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    We have considered this in the past but at the time there was no much interest in this (we had probably 2 or 3 suggestions so far). The"Android" way of doing this is use a 3rd-party application (one possible example is Open Flattr) that will manage user's flatter account and use the existing BeyondPod "share" episode/feed functionality to "share" to that application. This is similar to how most applications handle twitter/facebook/e-mail sharing - they rely on a single app to store your credentials for those services and use the sharing to "pass" the data. I am not sure if such Flattr app already exists on the Market, but if it does we will be glad make sure we work well with it.

I would value this feature as well. The neat idea of the integration is:
    - you don't have to actively flattr a podcast
    - things you hear will automatically receive a little bit of money (without the comsumer doing anything)
    - the app-creator (i.e. you!) may also receive a slice of the money

Basically everyone wins.
    The last part is (i believe) a partner, which is described here: http://developers.flattr.net/partner/

I would love BeyondPod to integrate flattr as well! Sure, you can also pro-actively flattr something manually, but the idea to have it in BP is still very tempting. There is (or rather _was_) an option in Instacast, where you could just "auto-flattr" every podcast-episode, you listened to.

By the way: BeyondPod itself would benefit from this as well: If you integrate Flattr in your apps, you get a small share of each transaction. This will not be taken from the artists part, but from flattr's part, so in the end everyone wins (Users get to flattr easily, artists get more money, BP gets more money, flattr gets more users/usage).

BeyondPod Team
    We actually contacted flattr about possible integration, suggesting an update to their official flattr app that would make it easier for other apps to integrate (rather than each app having to do the integration independently). They apparently have no plans to update their Android app for now, so we are currently considering an alternative solutions (similar to Instacast). Flattr integration is tentatively scheduled for the next release (3.1)

Nice to hear that. +1 for a flattr integration.

BeyondPod Team
    See this thread to share your thoughts on Flattr implementation in BeyondPod.

http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...Flattr-support

Good link!