Thread: Started BeyondPod tonight and everything is gone like it's a new install (4.3.28)

Unhappy Started BeyondPod tonight and everything is gone like it's a new install (4.3.28)

I used BeyondPod about a few hours ago with no issues and then about an hour ago I tapped the app icon to start it up again and got a welcome screen stating:

beyondpod_01b.jpg

Like I've just installed it and never used it. And when I click "LET'S START" at the bottom it wants me to pick some podcasts. At the bottom of that page it has a "SKIP THIS" option and when I do, I get this:

beyondpod_02b.jpg

Nothing. 0 podcast categories and feeds with 0 podcasts in the playlist. Augh! I have a sick feeling in my stomach...

I've used BeyondPod for over 10 years with four phones and never had any problems until recently with the white screen upon start up and feeds not updating on schedule. No problem, I could get around those. But this? Augh... I feel a sick. Over these 10 years I've curated over 300 podcast feeds along with categories, etc. Now, all gone. I do have a "BeyondPod_Backup_2020-09-27.bpbak" but that's two months ago and I'm not even confident that will work at this point. Additionally, if it does work, what does it do with all of the .mp3 podcast files I've downloaded since 9/27 as that backup file won't even know those files are there?

Is there anything I can do besides try to restore that two-month old backup? When I look in the phone's storage there is an "Internal shared storage > Android > data > mobi.beyondpod" directory that's approximately 28 GB with a "files" directory that contains five .autobak files and several .txt log files. So everything appears to be there it's just the app is completely ignoring it.

Pixel 3 / Android 10
    BeyondPod 4.3.28
    Attached Images Attached Images

BeyondPod Team
    Hello,

I'm so sorry that happened to you, and truly there is no explanation as to why that would happen unless the app was uninstalled, which it sounds like it was not. The only suggestion is to restore one of your backups or try to open the BeyondPod file you found on your device and select to open it in BP. Below are a couple of links from the BeyondPod support website that may help with restoring.

http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...-subscriptions
    http://www.beyondpod.com/cms/index.p...o-a-new-device

Again, very sorry that things disappeared for you! I wish there was more we could do on our end.

The only files in "Internal shared storage > Android > data > mobi.beyondpod > files" were:

beyondpod.db.autobak
    BeyondPodHistory.bin.autobak
    BeyondPodItemHistory.bin.autobak
    PlayList.bin.autobak
    TrackState.xml.autobak

And my phone didn't recognize .autobak as a filetype associated with any app.

Seeing as though I had only probably added maybe one or two feeds in the last two months I knew all I was really losing with that two-month old backup was the Playlist that I'd added to so I restored that backup. Worked great! Cleaned up and added what I remembered I'd done since the backup so all is back to normal. (Although still experiencing the white screen freeze upon startup sometimes along with feeds not updating hourly as auto-scheduled.)

This incident has now turned me into a fastidious daily backup fanatic. A future feature idea is the ability to auto-schedule backups to occur daily (or hourly or weekly) that would automatically share to Google Drive so in the event this occurs again (or if the phone bricks) all is saved.
    Last edited by questrider; 12-05-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Exclamation

Just had to create an account here to say this happened to me as well. One minute all was well, the other ( after my tablet froze/rebooted), everything was gone.
    In reviewing the logs, it appears something went wrong with the database. Would sending the logs be helpful?
    EDIT: also my backup is from 2018, so its not that useful for a restore ( but it is better than nothing)

BeyondPod Team
    Hello,

Yes, you can send in your logs to support and we can take a look to see if there are clues as to what happened. Unfortunately, we cannot add what was lost back onto your device app, so you will need to use a backup that you have or subscribe to your feeds/set your settings again.