Thread: Please disable debugging in android version!!!

Please disable debugging in android version!!!

Dear Developers!

As you might be familiar with the Google Market Publishing Rules, i'd ask you to please turn off the debugging-messages in BeyondPod... this should be disabled on _any_ App on the market, and with BeyondPod it's a horrible massive number of lines that get send to logcat - i tend to say it's spamming logcat.

especially as i'm also developing android apps, this is really annoying!

Thanks!

BeyondPod Team
    Thank you for the feedback.

We are generally careful to not output any unnecessary debug messages - the ones you see are frequently used for diagnostics (people capture their device logs and send them to us when they have issues). Can you send us (or post) a couple of samples of messages that you consider "spamming" - it is possible that they were left unintentionally and we will gladly remove them in the next build.

Hello!

Most of the messages i consider "spam" have the "[BeyondPodApplication]" string appended, e.g. the ever repeating "WiFi adapter is already on....", and during scheduled background-updates there's a lot of messages showing up. if i happen to catch those updates in logcat i can post them later, but you can also check that yourself.

i know it's very valuable to get that data from devices to locate the source of the problems, and - except for a small loss in app-speed - the normal user will not even know what's happening there in background.

but as a developer it's ugly especially when you are looking to find errors related to other (= not from your own app) packages where you can not really filter. and - beyondpod is not the only app - the next moment there's soo many lines sent to logcat that clutter it up.

Just as an idea, if you need this for debugging - make a preferences that generally disables logcat output as the default, or enable it as default and but people like me can turn it off. or, as a alternative, make your own Log-Class (just overwrite the built in one), and depending on a preference, you can still forward it to logcat, or log to a log-file on the sd-card - this could also be included in crash-reports for later usage, that's what i did in my app!

Beside that "negative" stuff, i also have to say that i'm using beyondpod every day since i cant remember when, and it's a really valueable tool - so Thanks for providing it!

Edit: i just captured 114 Lines via LogCat for just one update that downloaded one file...
    Last edited by smartinick; 03-15-2012 at 03:30 AM.