Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New UI

New UI

I recently updated to the new stable release. I'm having a little trouble getting used to some elements in the new configuration:

1) Adding all episodes in a single podcast to the playlist no longer seems possible. I'm having to go directly into the podcast's list of episodes and then individually add each episode - That's an extra step for each episode (in my case this is typically 6 - 12 episodes).

2) It took me a while to figure out how to start video podcasts - right now I'm having to tap on the right-hand side of the episode (which has no markings, I basically found it by tapping there by accident) to get to the episode notes and then pressing play from there. - That's an extra step, plus another for instances where I quit beyondpod and want to pick back up from where I left off.

3) Having to toggle edit and play modes in order to rearrange my playlist is rather frustrating - I always liked how easily I could rearrange my playlist based on my mood / environment. This now requires two extra steps (one to toggle into edit mode, then another to toggle into play mode), really two extra steps plus another two for each time I realize that I had made a simple mistake with one episode.

I don't mind the rearrangement, in fact I really find that the new layout makes sense over the prior layout (categories effectively being a menu is welcome change in particular), but the things that I listed above have me wondering if there is a better way for me to accomplish the things I listed above as easily as I was able to before the changes.

BeyondPod Team
    1) Adding all episodes in a single podcast to the playlist no longer seems possible...
    You can do that by long pressing on the feeds "episodes" button (located on the right side of each feed - see "Number of Local Episodes" arrow in this picture). This will add all feed's episodes to the playlist and start playing the first one.

It took me a while to figure out how to start video podcasts...
    Simple tap on the video episode should start a video playback. I am a bit confused to why you need to play it from Episode Notes (the current video episode can also be resumed from the player and the widget)

Having to toggle edit and play modes in order to rearrange my playlist is rather frustrating
    Yes, indeed we had to add an "edit" mode as currently there is only one playlist. Before there was one "read only" playlist in the player and another "editable" in the My Episodes Screen - so going from one to the other required at least one click sometimes more - now it requires always only one click).

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    You can do that by long pressing on the feeds "episodes" button (located on the right side of each feed - see "Number of Local Episodes" arrow in this picture). This will add all feed's episodes to the playlist and start playing the first one.
    That's how I've always done it - now I get a short vibration and no action, the playlist remains unchanged and nothing starts playing. (I'd personally rather it didn't start playing anyway since my next immediate action is typically to do the same thing with another podcast).

Simple tap on the video episode should start a video playback. I am a bit confused to why you need to play it from Episode Notes (the current video episode can also be resumed from the player and the widget)
    That was my expectation since it's the old behavior, but what happens is it starts playing the audio track and not the video - once this happens, I have to first start playing another episode, then go through the steps I cited in my OP in order to get it to launch the video.

Yes, indeed we had to add an "edit" mode as currently there is only one playlist. Before there was one "read only" playlist in the player and another "editable" in the My Episodes Screen - so going from one to the other required at least one click sometimes more - now it requires always only one click).
    I really don't know what you mean by that. I was always able to do everything from the "My episodes" playlist - in fact I found the read-only playlist pane on the player to be in my way and rather useless since it took the same number of steps to get to the "My Episodes" playlist. In any case this isn't nearly as frustrating as the experience that I've had with issues 1 & 2, so if I'm not seeing the intended behavior then please consider this a set of bug reports.

BeyondPod Team
    As far as the video issue, can you check if "Allow Videos in Playlist" is unchecked (Menu > More > Settings > Menu > Advanced Settings). It should be "checked" in order for it to work the way you want it. (It is checked by default but could have been accidentally unchecked). I think checking it will also fix your first issue.

I've been a long-term Pro user. The new UI is awful IMO. I never have used playlists, prefering to group feeds by category, go to Episodes, and from there navigating with one tap between All, Category, and Feed. This is something I just can't seem to do with the new UI. The changes are so massive, that it's a whole new experience, and one that was frankly not needed.

I don't have BeyondPod for it's eye-candy, I have it for it's functionality, and the old version was simply better in that respect. I'm hoping the old APK in this thread (post #2) will restore former functionality. If not, I will have to restore my phone to a month-old backup (and endure days of updates for other apps) to get the old BeyondPod back.

Having said that, BeyondPod is my favourite app; the only app I use more frequently is Calendar.

Gotta agree, there was no need for the changes in functionality in the new UI

I gotta agree - I use this app every day and am very disappointed in the changes. I miss having a simple, sortable playlist view of every episode of whichever podcast you're listening to. I used to just go the the player, then backtrack to the sortable episode list and it would play them all in sequence. I could sort that list as needed. Now I have no idea how to do this other than editing the settings for the feed and then making an on-the-fly playlist.

It didn't need changing, unless there were a bunch of people on these forums complaining about the old UI (I don't know because I didn't have reason to go to these forums before today). I didn't know about long-pressing on the episode list to create an on-the-fly playlist. I guess I prematurely dismissed a pop-up that explained how everything has changed because I would have had no idea that a long-press action on one screen was required to do it.

I shouldn't have to go to a message board to figure out how to use this stuff and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I disagree. Navigation in the old UI was confusing and inconsistent.

There was a long discussion about the proposed changes before any code was written, and then 14 separate beta test releases, each refining and improving on the UI in response to comments from beta test users. In response to at least one of those users, an option was included in the settings to allow the 2.x behaviour that a single tap would add all episodes from that point on in the feed to the playlist. However, it was perceived that the old behaviour was non-intuitive (especially for new users), so the default action for tapping on a single episode was changed to add the single episode to the playlist instead.

However, if you prefer the old version, version 2.9.15 is available to download and reinstall from the Beyondpod website

Julie

Aah gotcha. Well it seems to be the result of a lot of consideration and testing and will probably be good for new users going forward. I admit it did take me a while to figure out the old one. I'll probably just switch over to a different app with a simpler interface.

I was trying to avoid inviting people to start bashing the overall effort to cleanup the new UI. I just had a couple of points to address.

As far as the video issue, can you check if "Allow Videos in Playlist" is unchecked (Menu > More > Settings > Menu > Advanced Settings). It should be "checked" in order for it to work the way you want it. (It is checked by default but could have been accidentally unchecked). I think checking it will also fix your first issue.
    It was purposefully unchecked - I typically use the smartplay feature for my daily commute (~1hr each way). My smart playlist configuration has several categories in it - I'd like for it to play just the audio from those categories so that I can hold off on video until I get to my desk. This allows me to keep my smart playlist simple and allows me to avoid rearranging it every time I want to try out a new podcast. So in short, my use of video is context-sensitive, and I'm having to spend a lot of time interfacing with BeyondPod in order to adjust my playlist for those contexts. I was hoping that disallowing video from the playlist would help reduce that. So maybe this should be a feature request instead. Multiple smart playlists?

I've used BeyondPod for a little over 18 months now. I personally LOVE the UI upgrade. It really is simpler to use in many cases. (Earlier i just found myself swiping left and right to find the right screen, but now it's just three screens (Feeds|Episodes|Player) with the additional playlist and the category menu.)
    I don't think it's harder for "pro" users, i just think people need to be a little opener towards change. Once you used it for a few hours you'll come to like it. Minor glitches can be expected (but they also can be fixed).

@mklcyngbp: then switch from BP to BP. It IS the program with the simpler interface.