Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Syncing playlist/playback between devices

Wink Syncing playlist/playback between devices

Hi

I Use BP since few weeks and love it!

But if I had one think I'd love to see it's a syncing feature between multiples devices running BP.

Explanation:
    My main use of BP is on my phone (@work, when I travel, on my bike, etc), but when I'm @home I do prefer use ma tablet (today a HP touchpad with ICS). So if I have some playback that I want to resume on the tablet I need to do it manually, find the good timing where I left on the phone. And If I finish the playback I need to mark the podcast as read on the phone... etc .. Read mark can be done by google Reader, I know, but I don't use it because I like to keep my Greader clean of unread item. And it doesn't seem to apply on BP when I mark a podcast as read on Greader (Seems to be only BP => Greader way)

So, it is possible one day to have some kind of playback syncing between device ?
    I see 3 ways to do it:
    - Through a server online that sync device on the cloud => need a server that you maintain.
    - With a software on a computer (Windows/MAC/Linux...) on the local network that will centralize all the syncing.
    - Direct connectivity through local network between the device we want to sync.

This kind of syncing already exist with Microsoft Zune device (and Windows Phone). I own a Zune80 and a Zune4, I can sync podcast playback between both device via Zune software on my Windows PC, and this can be done wireless via Wi-Fi.
    This is the kind of killer feature that I would love to see in BP.

Thanks!

BeyondPod Team
    Cross syncing between devices is currently in active development.

Oh yes! Very very good news !
    Can't wait now to see that.

Thanks for the answer !

PS:
    Maybe it's something impossible but do you think it may be possible to sync between audio and video cast ?
    I mean: I like to listen audio cast on my phone, but on the tablet I may prefer watching the video version (when available of course) of the same cast. The dream would be to be able to cross sync the different version of a same cast, audio and video.

cool, I am getting a Asus tablet and that would be cool so I don't have to redownload podcasts across the phone and tablet. And would be epic for local network wifi sycing

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Synching audio and video versions of the same podcast would presumably require the publisher to put something in the feed info to designate the two feeds as being equivalent.

A more likely solution would be to download the video version on both devices, but just listen to it on the phone. (I have a vague feeling that there's a setting in BP somewhere to keep"showing" video, even with the screen off.)

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Cross syncing between devices is currently in active development.
    Hi. Is there an update on this feature? I just bought a Nexus 7 and am thinking about getting an Android phone too now and was wondering if it's possible to sync audio podcasts between both devices.

+1.

I signed into the forums and was going to request this feature, only to pleasantly find it has already been requested and is already under development. Double win.

I am looking forward to testing this out once it is available.

--James

Quote Originally Posted by samej71 View Post
    +1.

I signed into the forums and was going to request this feature, only to pleasantly find it has already been requested and is already under development. Double win.

I am looking forward to testing this out once it is available.

--James

Same here, I'm super excited about this feature.

I was going to suggest sync with a common cross-platform podcast-tracking service... I use gpodder.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I'm not familiar with gpodder, but as far as I can see, synchronisation in gpodder is currently only for synchronisation of feed subscriptions (add / retrieve / update / delete a feed).

However, it appears that the Kindle-like level of synchronisation that we're planning for BeyondPod is also planned for gpodder, i.e. synchronisation of the episodes themselves so that you can listen to podcast X and part of podcast Y on Device A, and then synchronised Device B will know that it can delete podcast X, and where to resume listening in podcast Y. I may be missing something, but I can't see any documentation for developers about how that will work in gpodder though.

Julie

This is great to read. I love BeyondPod but have been hunting for something with this feature. Great to hear it's coming to BeyondPod.

Now if only Google Reader could somehow remember my play position, or there were a Reader-esque podcast web-app that could sync with my device and play podcasts with positions remembered ... it'd be nice to be able to listen to podcast X on my way home, and then resume on my PC or Mac when I get home without needing to keep my device on me to do so.

Just a pipe dream