Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Syncing playlist/playback between devices

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Google Reader can't even tell whether you have played a podcast, much less how far through it you've got. It only has a Read/Unread flag.
    gPodder (see above) has plans to do this, and BP may (or may not) be able to integrate with gPodder sync as some point in the future if there's enough call for it.

Hello,

any news on this topic?
    it will be a unique feature on the android market.

for my understanding the simplest way are to integrate the player informations to the backup file and sync it give access on all devices to this file over the google imap mailbox.
    or you build a big cloud solution to get statistics. thats are a good plattform for a podcast index

regards
    Thomas

BeyondPod Team
    There are a number of approaches, from providing server space and back end processing power (expensive, but fully under BeyondPod's control), to using external cloud services, such as Dropbox or Google Docs APIs to store a central log file accessible by all clients (no cost, but hostage to API changes by the owners of those services). NB: The podcasts themselves will not be synched, only information about whether or not they've been downloaded, deleted, played, and if so, how far through each podcast you've got. An in-house version already exists, but isn't ready for beta yet.

In the meantime, we need to release the next market version, and bring the tablet version of BP in line with the phone version. Once those are done, we'll start concentrating on the synching. I'm as keen as you are to get this working.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    In the meantime, we need to release the next market version, and bring the tablet version of BP in line with the phone version. Once those are done, we'll start concentrating on the synching. I'm as keen as you are to get this working.

Julie
    Awesome. The prospect of this feature being in the pipeline is what convinced me to go for BeyondPod over other apps. It would be super useful.

This kind of syncing between devices will be a great addition to BeyondPod, but it will also be great if there is some kind of UPNP/DLNA support, where we can stream the audio/video to remote renderers.

what do you say?

Good to see that the request is on the way.

Hard to wait until it's release. Every beta notification I hope to see it on the changelog

BeyondPod Team
    Don't hold your breath too much. It'll be bad for your health. It'll be quite a while before we have enough of this in place to make it available for beta testing. By its nature, it's something that we need to take time over to get it right.

On the one hand, it needs to be tested in real life situations - you know, actually listening to / watching podcasts, and making sure that the other device(s) behave appropriately when they find out about it, and that takes quite a lot of real elapsed time. And then there are a number of edge cases where we need to make sure each device in the sync group behaves appropriately in each circumstance.

But we ARE moving closer!

Push (and suggestion: Dropbox upload)

I agree, I'd love to see this feature as well. It's not extremely important to me, but if it takes months to come, I'll probably try out gpodder too. I know that such ideas can take some time, but 3/4 of a year should be enough (depending on other tasks of course).

Speaking of other tasks: What about a Dropbox integration (in order to upload/backup downloaded episodes manually and/or automatically to a specific Dropbox folder and marking them as uploaded in BeyondPod) ?
    This would be a really interesting feature imo!

BeyondPod Team
    We are actively working on it. However, we've decided we DON'T want to make it dependent on any other service. You can already backup your BeyondPod settings, and then share the backup with Dropbox.

Julie

I just wanted to say that you've got one more fan of BeyondPod eagerly awaiting this feature. Great job guys!