Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Syncing playlist/playback between devices

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    We're Alpha testing now if anyone's interested.

See http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...Testers-Needed

It's currently only available for the phone UI (although you can run the phone version on a tablet), and a synching tablet version is in the pipeline too.

Julie

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    gPodder (see above) has plans to do this, and BP may (or may not) be able to integrate with gPodder sync as some point in the future if there's enough call for it.
    gPodder sync would be quite nice. I'd like to be able to pick up on my laptop or HTPC and then go mobile and still have the sync state available. I've used gPodder in the past, and switched to BeyondPod, but the HTPC has the easy connection to the household speakers. Ultimately I'd like to see a sync with a web service (as Listen did), but if the gPodder folks and the BeyondPod folks can agree on a standard, I'm sure somebody else will be able to pick it up and make a web service out of it.

I've become quite fond of BeyondPod's rules-based playlist and it's on the device I can take anywhere so ideally it would still be the 'brains' of the operation (for my use case). I'd probably set gPodder or a web service to not do any playlist manipulation so they would just slave playlists, only contributing play state back to the sync service.

BeyondPod Team
    The intention is to keep things simple (both to understand and to use, with absolutely minimal sync-specific settings, and with equal weighting for all devices - no Master/Slave differentiation), so at its core, BeyondPod-only syncing won't do any playlist manipulation either. The reasoning is that you may have a different set of feeds on different devices (e.g. more video feeds on a tablet and more audio feeds on a phone, or you may set up different devices differently depending on how much local storage they have to download podcasts).

For this reason, each device will be autonomous (i.e. have its own Feed settings, SmartPlay list (if you use SmartPlay), etc.), and will tell the sync service what it has played. It will also be aware of which episodes have already been played or part-played on any other synced device, so that it can integrate that information into its own setup and use pattern, and behave as though those episodes had been played on the local device.

In other words, if you part-play an episode on Device A, synced Device B will know how far through that episode you have got. If that same episode is at the top of the playlist on Device B (e.g. because they both have the same SmartPlay rules), then when you start your playlist on Device B you will automatically start playing the same episode at the point where you left off. However, if that episode is in a feed that you don't subscribe to on Device B, it won't appear there at all. Or, if that episode happens to be the 3rd item in your playlist on Device B at the point where you start playing, it'll play the first 2 first, and then pick up where you left on in the middle of the part-played episode.

No device will have any knowledge of another device's play list (except retrospectively, in the sense of knowing what episodes have been played and therefore were on the playlist at that time).

Doing it this way allows much greater flexibility for variation in device use patterns, but still allows the straight "pick up where you left off" type of syncing if you replicate identical setups on multiple syncing devices (and there will be a mechanism to be able to share BeyondPod settings between devices to simplify this kind of setup).

NB: BeyondPod can already sync with GReader for simple read/unread (played/unplayed) status for synchronisation with any other device that also syncs with GReader (which is all it's capable of knowing). Simply tick the Sync with Google Reader box in the Feed Settings if you want to do this.

Julie

I'm really looking forward to this. Nowadays, we can have (almost) everything synced. It's very relaxing knowing that you can use different devices and keep forward with your work, readings, etc. Also, knowing that even if your devices got broken or stolen, you won't miss your valuable data.

Podcast are the one thing missing in my devices to be synced (greader is pretty useless, also with the stupid feature that from 30 days on everything is marked as read). As it stands now, if my phone would get lost, i will have to do almost everything all over again. Not very pleasant, specially since everything else will keep working just fine. Also, i don't even want to use BeyondPod on my tablet yet cause it will be of no use not being synced (It will give more work and headaches than joy).

Yes, i'm desperately looking forward to this. I'm 100% sure the people in BeyondPod will make it happen. No, this is not a matter of faith but facts. A few times in the past I contacted them through email, they answered fast, they help me, but most impressive, whenever what i ask was not possible, they added it in the next update. Yes, i love this app and the way the developers communicate with us users. As I was reading this thread, I could also see the dedication of Julie with her answers. That's not very common, so I just want to thank them.

I hope you guys can manage to deliver this very needed feature as soon as possible, I'll be at the edge of my seat waiting for it.

Regards from Spain
    Will

BeyondPod Team
    Hola puchua

You could apply to join the Alpha test group, where users are already testing the functionality. The link to that thread is at the top of this page. You can use the phone UI on your tablet in the short term, and switch to the tablet version when we have a tablet sync version available for testing - which should be very soon now. Both UIs use the same back end, so you can switch between them - just don't try to have them both installed on the same device at the same time!

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by juwlz View Post
    Hola puchua

You could apply to join the Alpha test group, where users are already testing the functionality. The link to that thread is at the top of this page. You can use the phone UI on your tablet in the short term, and switch to the tablet version when we have a tablet sync version available for testing - which should be very soon now. Both UIs use the same back end, so you can switch between them - just don't try to have them both installed on the same device at the same time!

Julie
    It appears that the alpha testers page is no longer there... I'm assuming that you were able to get all the testers you need?

I'm just now getting into Podcasts after years of being away (2nd gen ipod?) - which means digging through the numerous apps to decide which one I want to use (and spend money on). To be completely honest, seeing your involvement in this thread alone and knowing that the developers of BP are willing to discuss ideas and development with the users has pretty much settled it for me.

Anyway, if you still need any alpha testers, I would be using it between a Nexus 10 tablet and a VZW Galaxy Nexus both running AOKP's latest build... but completely understand if your all full.

Ninja Edit: Just saw that you pushed it into BETA, reading up on status/process now :-)
    Last edited by Trusstopher; 02-14-2013 at 10:35 AM.

BeyondPod Team
    You're right. We've now moved on to Beta testing, with gradually increasing numbers of testers. You can find more detail in the Cross Device Syncing Beta Test forum section.

Julie

Damn! I missed the opening phase for the alpha/beta. no more slot available to register at this time.

Can't wait to test this feature between my phone and my Nexus 7 !
    I hope I will be able to register next time you'll add new slot

BeyondPod Team
    Subscribe to http://www.beyondpod.com/forum/showt...vice-Sync-BETA to hear when we add more slots for testers.

Julie

I will. thanks!