Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcast info over Blutooth (AVRCP 1.3 - Metadata info)

Podcast info over Blutooth (AVRCP 1.3 - Metadata info)

Hi

I use a Sony bluetooth headset which is able to display track info sended via AVRCP Blutooth Profile. But Beyondpod seems to not use this feature.
    I have an Android 4.x phone, Google music send the album/track info to the headset, it would be great if Beyondpod can do it with podcast stream name and episode title.

The issue is that when I played a song with Google Music, the headset dispay it, and keep it until I play a new song. As Beyondpod doesn't send any info the headset seems to keep the last song played with Google music and after a pause if I hit the play button (on the headset) it launch the play on google music not on beyonpod even if beyonpod was the last thing I played.
    Maybe it's not related, but it would be great to have the info displayed on the headset as it's technicaly possible

Me too! +1 for this!

BeyondPod Team
    Do you use a special Sony app on the device to connect with your headset? I have a live a Sony SmartWatch device and it does display album art/ text, but that is done via the Sony App that has a special support for Google Music, not the native Bluetooth infrastructure.

BeyondPod already publishes this information about the currently playing episode using the standard Android metadata publishing (this is how image/episode name is displayed on the ICS/JelyBean lock screen). For some reason this metadata never makes it to the remote device (it could be that Android does not yet support the Bluetooth extensions fro sending the metadata).

Streaming to my windows 7 laptop doesn't show info too...
    Actually, shows info from the google play music app last played song.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanK View Post
    (it could be that Android does not yet support the Bluetooth extensions fro sending the metadata).
    Yes, that's correct.

Hi thanks you for your answers.
    Sorry to be late on reading this.

StefanK => you're right. There's a Sony software to manage my wireless headset pro, witch is similar to the smartwatch. I didn't thought it was this software that manage Google Music metadata, as there's no "extension app" for GMusic.

I'm sad to learn that android is limited and doesn't support blutooth extension for sending this metadata.
    I don't understand why blutooth never was well supported by android!

This feel like a dead-end story :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Poilu View Post
    StefanK => you're right. There's a Sony software to manage my wireless headset pro, witch is similar to the smartwatch. I didn't thought it was this software that manage Google Music metadata, as there's no "extension app" for GMusic.

I'm sad to learn that android is limited and doesn't support blutooth extension for sending this metadata.
    I see this same behavior with my new Pioneer bluetooth-enabled car stereo - the track information from the most recent track in Google Music is displayed constantly, even while I'm listening to BeyondPod and haven't opened the Google Music app since the last boot of my phone (Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, running Jellybean).

I don't have any Sony app (or any third-party app) that might be sending the track information from Google Music to the Pioneer stereo. It would seem, therefore, that Android does support this. I would love to see it work for BeyondPod!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Poilu View Post
    Don't blame "Android", there is no such single creature you can point to.

Any developer can implement a BlueTooth profile that can use the basic drivers present in Android by extending the BluetoothProfile class. IMHO, it's unfortunate that the BlueTooth designers (gotta be a committee) came up with such a cumbersome mess as profiles, and too many manufacturers implement their own proprietary profiles to the exclusion of a generic.

I suspect that this will permanently marginalize BlueTooth. Who wants to install a new app every time you buy new headphones?

It's also confusing to research BlueTooth profiles for Android, because Android uses the term "profile" for something very different.

I am seeing the same problem with an Alpine unit. Every audio application I used updates the text display *EXCEPT* BeyondPod.

The answers on this thread are misdirection and technical nonsense. No, this isn't an Android problem, and this isn't due to some mystery "incompatible profiles" that one vendor chose to support and not another. Alpine doesn't explicitly support Google Music, or any other application. In particular, Alpine doesn't independently support small, no-name applications which came into existence a year after they started shipping this radio unit. That entire line of reasoning is faulty at its core.

BeyondPod is not using the AVRCP controls. Not only are they easy to use, a quick google search found me the answer for how to make this work. Given that we had to pay for BeyondPod, shouldn't they take these requests seriously?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...via-a2dp-avrcp

BeyondPod Team
    Have you tried the latest beta version (available at here) we added support for that some time ago. Once you install the BETA this should work out of the box - now extra configuration needed.

As far as "technical nonsense" things are a bit more complicated then they appear. Up to now (JB 4.2.2) core Android (think Nexus devices) do not have support for AVRCP metadata - none of the Nexus (at device least I have seen) can natively output BT metadata. BT metadata support is something that some manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, Sony etc.) add to their devices on top of the stock Android (or it could be baked in a custom ROM). In cases that this is supported (by the ROM directly of in some cases by installing a 3rd party app) there is a small piece of code (BT metadata handler) that runs on the device and listens to particular broadcasts and sends the metadata it receives to the BT hardware. In almost all cases, the broadcasts that piece of code listens is the ones that were originally sent by Google Music ("com.android.music.metachanged"). The way most app output metadata is to emulate the Google Music's broadcasts when they switch tracks. Car units don't really need to know or support any particular app - as long as they get the metadata they display it. It is this piece small piece of code that does the sending and only when it receives the emulated Google Music broadcasts from the apps.

In ICS, Google added official support for audio metadata that was intended to provide an official way of handling metadata from music applications (including album art, duration, etc.). Unfortunately because they never "officially" implemented BT metadata support the only place this end-up being used is on the ICS/JB lock screen controls. There are rumors that 4.3 will add BT metadata support and the metadata pipeline will work as intended.

BeyondPod has supported the ICS style metadata for a long time (hoping that Google will eventually wire it up to the BT pipeline as it was intended) and as of recent betas supports the emulated route (which most other apps currently use).

Stefan