Thread: Never re-download episodes?

Question Never re-download episodes?

I'm having a bit of trouble setting up my feed updates. Most of my feeds I would like to download new episodes when available, i.e. anything that has been posted after the last episode I listened to for that feed. This works most of the time, but sometimes I notice that if I view available episodes manually there are new ones that have not been downloaded, even if they were posted before my scheduled update, there is space to download the episode and the maximum number of episdodes to keep has not been reached

One of my feeds is a comedy podcast and I'd like to download all of the available episodes except those I have already listened to. I find that with both 'download new episodes' and 'download episodes in order' I still have to go through the list and delete episodes I have already listened to. Is there a way to set this up?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Download in Order is normally only used for things like Audio books or training material, when it's important to start with episode 1, and not miss anything.

The more common approach is to Download Newest episodes, which will ignore any episodes older that the oldest one you first downloaded. (e.g. If you tell BP to download no more than 3 episodes, and the most recent episode when you subscribe to the feed is 97, it will download 95, 96, 97. If you listen to 95 and 96 by the time 98 is made available, it will only download 98, even though that only leaves you with 2 unheard episodes, because 94 is older than the one you started with.)

The date and timestamp on a podcast will be the date and time that the publisher says it was posted in the feed. It may be that the date and time when it's actually available to download on the internet is a little later, which might account for the discrepancy. Other possibilites are differences between your rules for updating your feed and downloading your podcasts (e.g. you may allow BP to update feeds on 3G, but only download episodes over WiFi, which means you'll know an episode is available but haven't downloaded it).

You can view the update log using Menu | More ... | View Update Log, to see what happened during the update. You can also make BeyondPod keep the last 8(?) update logs by Enabling Logging in the Advanced settings. That would allow you to see why and when BP downloads your episodes over a period of time. Examination of this may help to determine when episodes with a certain timestamp were actually available.

Regardless of the download order, you can view and play oldest or newest episodes first.

BeyondPod has two (and a half) ways to decide whether an episode is new. The first is to use a combination of Post Title, Link and Date. This can sometimes be problematic (e.g. if the publisher corrects a typo, or changes the location of the download); the other method (available in 3.0.37) is to use the Post GUID, if the publisher uses one. You can set the Duplicate Episode Detection to Automatic, and BeyondPod will use the GUID if it appears to be reliable; otherwise it will use Title, Link and Date. You can change the method in the Feed settings (including choosing Automatic), but you need to be aware that if BP changes methods, you will have to manually mark those episodes that you have read, as the two methods are mutually exclusive. However, when GUID is available and used correctly by the publisher, it should prevent old episodes apparently becoming new again. The other option is to sync with Google Reader and use whatever Google uses to determine whether an episode is new.

For your comedy podcast, I would suggest telling BeyondPod to Automatically choose which method to use for Duplicate Detection. If it chooses to switch to Post GUID, you will have to manually mark as read those episodes you have already heard so far. Then choose Download in Order, and it will download up to your max number of episodes that you haven't marked as read.

HTH
    Julie

Where can I find the Duplicate Detection setting?

Edit, I found it in the Edit Feed menu. I have 20 feeds, is there somewhere I can set it for all feeds?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I'm afraid not - but you'll probably want to do it piecemeal (starting with your most problematic feeds), as the two methods are mutually exclusive, so you'll need to manually mark old episodes in the feed as read anyway.

When you add a new feed, the Duplicate Detection is Automatic, so you could delete and re-add your feeds instead. Of course, if your feeds have lots of other settings that are different from the settings in your Feed Defaults, it may take even longer that way.