Thread: Update log oddity

Update log oddity

I'm a compulsive inspector of my update logs, and retaining several has been most welcome.

However, I'm now in an odd state: I have several logs available, but only the youngest changes. The older nine stay the same. In my BeyondPod folder, I have one file named FeedUpdateLog.htm, and nine named FeedUpdateLog_<timestamp>.htm. You can probably guess the correlation.

I mess about with new versions of Android, and while diagnosing problems recently I believe that I chose (for reasons I won't disclose due to embarrassment) to reformat and restore an old backup of my /data partition, which probably came with a version of BP that only kept one update log. I've since restored a much more recent backup.

My guess is that BP cleans this up when it notices that it's just been installed, but restoring a (nandroid) backup doesn't trigger this action, and further that BP will only keep a single undated logfile if such a logfile already exists.

Please let me know if you folks have any interest in examining the state of my installation, otherwise I'll just delete the undated logfile and I expect that will let BP get on with things as usual.

And no, I don't expect BP to behave perfectly when I slam an old version down with a newer storage folder.

BeyondPod Team
    Dennis,

Update log "history" is enabled only if you have "Enable Logging" checked in the Advanced Settings (Menu > More > Settings > Menu > Advanced Settings > Enable Logging)
    It is off by default so if you restore to a backup that had it off, no new "history" will be added when an update log is generated (but the old history files will still remain).

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi Dennis

That one confused me too, until I found out what was happening.

If you tick Enable Logging in the advanced settings, one of things that changes is that BP keeps multiple Update logs (I currently have 10). However, if you deselect it, it only keeps the most recent one (but doesn't delete the old ones).

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    Ha! Beaten to the Post button

Ah HAH! Thanks! All that speculation for naught.

BeyondPod Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Rockwell View Post
    I believe that I chose (for reasons I won't disclose due to embarrassment) to reformat and restore an old backup of my /data partition
    Oh come on ... 'fess up! We won't tell a soul