Thread: Episodes Not Dowloading on new Galaxy SIII

Episodes Not Dowloading on new Galaxy SIII

So the app worked perfectly on my Nexus S, never had a problem. Got a new phone set up the app exactly like I had it on the old phone. At first some episodes of some podcasts were downloading, now none are. The feeds go through the update but then the episodes won't download. I was using a bandaid way of getting the episodes by deleting them and then manually clicking the download button but now that has stopped working.

The episodes show as being there but when I click on them it opens up the player and says it has 0s and nothing plays. I've tried rebooting and resubscribing with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    How did you transfer across from your Nexus S to the SIII? (The easiest way is to use BeyondPod's Backup feature to backup on the old phone, copy the entire BeyondPod folder from the old phone to the new one (or SD card), and then use the Restore function on the new phone - which is how I transferred BeyondPod from my own Nexus S to my SIII.)

What does the Update log say when downloads fail? (You can see it using Menu | More... | View Update Log. Once you can see it, you can also email it - to suport or anyone else - by pressing the Menu key again.)

Julie

I'm having the same issue on my SIII, though I did not transfer from another device. This just started happening out of nowhere. Could it be a corrupt SD card? I've read that you can change the download path to the internal SD card, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to feel comfortable poking around in there.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    There are (at least) two possibilities:

One, as you say, is a possible corrupt SD card - assuming that BeyondPod's General Settings reports (at the bottom of the screen) that it's storing your podcasts at /mnt/extSdCard/BeyondPod/Podcasts).

Another is that BP may have tried to access the SD card immediately after startup, and before the SD card had been initialised, which would make it switch to using the internal storage. Once it does this, it won't know where to find all your old episodes, so will re-download.

Samsung provide a file manager (I think the one they supply is called My Files), and you can use this to find out whether you have a BeyondPod folder on both internal and external storage (internal is sdcard0; external is extSdCard). If you have both, BP will default to the internal storage.

If you have both, you can completely exit BP (Menu | More | Exit) and use My Files to move the entire BeyondPod folder from internal to external, or vice-versa. Any duplicate files should be identical anyway. When you restart BeyondPod, it will find the folder whether it's on your internal or external storage.

If you're sticking with the external storage, you can prevent BeyondPod from switching if it's not available (shortly after rebooting the phone) by ticking the Lock to Current Path box in the Advanced Settings (Menu | More | Settings | Menu (again) | Advanced Settings).

In either case, it may well be that you've simply run out of storage space - either in the internal storage or on your SD card - whichever BP is currently using.

If it's not obvious from the File Manager, the Update Log should provide more clues (as per my earlier post).

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 12-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.