Thread: Smart playlist adds podcast that are marked unread

Smart playlist adds podcast that are marked unread

Hey everyone.
    I added a podcast that I wanted to catch up on so I started downloading from the beginning. I had heard he first 10 of 156 so I marked these read. I added the feed to my smart playlist. I cleared the playlist and rebuilt it but the unread podcasts were included.
    Is this the correct behavior of beyond pod?
    -S

BeyondPod Team
    What is the difference between "Read" post and "Downloaded" or "Played" episode?

A good analogy that helps understand how "Read" and "Downloaded" are related, is to think of the feed as an e-mail mailbox box, where each post is an e-mail and each podcast episode is an attachment to this email.

The "Read" status of a feed post is very similar to the "Read" status of an e-mail - it shows if the content of the post has been read (or "opened"). By default posts are automatically marked as "Read" when you open them (this can be changed in Menu > More > Settings > Feed Content Settings > Mark Read on Open). Unread posts have a blue "dot" on the right side of the post title. You can tap on this blue dot and toggle item as Read/Unread. (Similar to e-mail, because the "Read" status is related to the post's content (body), the post can be marked as "Read" regardless if it has a podcast episode attached).

As e-mails can have attachments, each post may have a episode "attachment". In BeyondPod if a post has an attached podcast episode, the post row shows two extra buttons "Download" and "Stream". Pressing on the "Download" button will download the episode and make it locally available on your device. Once the episode is downloaded it will appear in the "My Episodes" list and the post buttons will change to "Play and Delete". If you delete a downloaded episode, post buttons will change to "Re-Download and Stream" to indicate that this episode has been downloaded and deleted in the past. (You can also manually mark an episode as "Already Downloaded" by long pressing on the podcast's post in the Feed Content View and selecting 'Set as Downloaded'. This is useful if you want to exclude some podcasts from automatic downloads).

"Read", "Downloaded" and "Played" states are independent of each other - one is related to the post content, the other two to the attached episode. You can have a post that is Unread, but the attached episode is Downloaded, or Read post with episode that is Not Downloaded (or was Downloaded and then Deleted). Because the episodes can be partially played, there is no link between post's "Read" and episode's "Played" status. As a convenience, BeyondPod will automatically try to mark the post as Read when you finish playing post's episode (but marking the post as "Read"/"Unrtead" will NOT make episode as "Played"/"Not Played").

For many podcast feeds, the post's "Read/Unread" status is somewhat irrelevant as usually we are interested in the attached episode, and the post itself has nothing or only a brief show notes. In this case feel free to ignore the "Read/Unread" status of the post or use it to "hide" the old episodes by marking them as "read"

Thanks for the help. So since there isn't a link between the read and unread and downloaded and not downloaded is there a way to mark a single episode as downloaded?
    -S

BeyondPod Team
    In the list of items - long press on the feed item>set as downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by nzdreamer55 View Post
    Thanks for the help. So since there isn't a link between the read and unread and downloaded and not downloaded is there a way to mark a single episode as downloaded?
    -S

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by nzdreamer55 View Post
    I added a podcast that I wanted to catch up on so I started downloading from the beginning. I had heard he first 10 of 156 so I marked these read. I added the feed to my smart playlist. I cleared the playlist and rebuilt it but the unread podcasts were included.
    Is this the correct behavior of beyond pod?
    That's exactly what I'd expect.

I'm curious: why would you want episodes you've already listened to to be added to the playlist? To me, the whole point of marking them read is that you don't want to listen to them again. Or to put it another way, if you did want to listen to them again, why did you mark them as read?

I'm not being argumentative - I'm just trying to understand what you expected.

Julie