Thread: Can I play ancient episodes downloaded by the web browser?

Question Can I play ancient episodes downloaded by the web browser?

I have downloaded MP3 files on my Android phone that I cannot figure out how to load into BeyondPod.

Why?
    Because most podcast RSS feeds only show that last few dozen episodes.
    So to get the very old episodes, I need to use the web browser to download individual MP3 files
    BUT so far I've found no way to either:
    • open / share those files into BeyondPod, or
    • Load them from inside the BeyondPod app

Being forced to leave behind features fast playback, playlists, etc. would be torture ;-)

Many thanks in advance,
    ./ddd

Quote Originally Posted by douglasdd@gmail.com View Post
    I have downloaded MP3 files on my Android phone that I cannot figure out how to load into BeyondPod.

Why?
    Because most podcast RSS feeds only show that last few dozen episodes.
    So to get the very old episodes, I need to use the web browser to download individual MP3 filesBUT so far I've found no way to either:
    • open / share those files into BeyondPod, or
    • Load them from inside the BeyondPod app

Being forced to leave behind features fast playback, playlists, etc. would be torture ;-)

Many thanks in advance,
    ./ddd
    In my experience, if you put the thing you downloaded into the folder for the podcast, it shows up in the feed after you restart BeyondPod. It's probably /path/to/sdcard/BeyondPod/Podcasts/Podcast Name.

I think usually you can't get the old episodes for certain podcasts because they don't include them in the RSS feed (presumably to cut down on bandwidth), which is where BeyondPod gets the information about the date and time, description, name, etc. Sometimes you can find services online that lets you generate an RSS feed from some URLS or something, but I'm not really familiar with them, so I can't give any recommendations.

Sweet! I now see them in the feed at the bottom under "archived episodes".

just to be on the safe side I've set that feed to keep 999 episodes.

BeyondPod Team
    Another thought is to sync the feed with Feedly. Feedly keeps an archive of older feed items for many feeds and this would allow you to see the older items as regular feed items in BeyondPod (because when you sync with Feedly we get the feed info from Feedly and their archive rather than the current feed). If they have an archive of your feed this gets around the whole download on the web process and integrates them in to BeyondPod.

See Help in BeyondPod or on the web here.

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    You can add any folder (e.g. your Download folder) to BeyondPod as a Virtual Feed.

Note that if you want BP to be able to delete episodes for you, it has to have write access to the folder. This means that if you're on KitKat and using your SD card, the folder has to be in BeyondPod's private folder, Android/data/mobi.beyondpod; if the folder is in internal storage, there won't be an issue.

Julie