Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Discussion

Re browser text editor;

I actually think the problem is partly the forum software. I have no problem on other sites. I also have no problem in Firefox on windows.

The symptom is that the cursor does not stay where I tap; it jumps to some other location.

I will try another browser, but it seems they are all webkit underneath, so I'm not hopefull.

(later) Opera is much better for this text editing. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by stephe; 03-16-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Exclamation Mobile BP Forums need improvement, higher priority than Tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by stephe View Post
    Re browser text editor;
    I actually think the problem is partly the forum software. I have no problem on other sites. I also have no problem in Firefox on windows.
    The symptom is that the cursor does not stay where I tap; it jumps to some other location.
    I will try another browser, but it seems they are all webkit underneath, so I'm not hopefull.
    (later) Opera is much better for this text editing. Thanks for the tip.
    Glad Opera helps.
    The problem is a combination of poor mobile website programming and mobile browser weaknesses. That they could be made to play well together is illustrated by now well mobile Gmail website composition works in the standard Android browser. Opera has done a good job of programming around the issue here (likewise Chrome beta), but the mobile version of BP Forums really needs to be improved for other mobile browsers, since most users will not be using Opera (or Chrome) for a long time to come. That's much more important than providing support for Tapatalk, which would benefit only a small minority of users.

Quote Originally Posted by RED ZMAN View Post
    I'm not picking a fight, I just don't want more valid threads taken off topic because of your attitude, just like you would do in the old support forums every time someone asked a question and had Cyanogenmod or some other non official Android version installed.
    You actually keep making nasty personal comments, despite my having asked you politely to stop (and not made nasty comments about you). If you keep doing it, I will ask that you be banned.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-17-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John
    [Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.1 on T-Mobile USA]

^^^
    I didn't make one single nasty or personal comment man. Do I need to put smileys after everything?

And ask for me to be banned? This is what I'm talking about John. I asked you, my second post in this thread, to PLEASE (that's usually seen as a polite request) not start the same games you did on the old site. Perfect example are both your posts in this thread, and your "Re Titling" of every post you make.

Mobile BP Forums need improvement, higher priority than Tapatalk!
    Really?

*Sigh*

Guess I need to make another thread asking for an ignore user feature if it isn't already on here. I'll let everyone know in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by stephe View Post
    Re open standard:

Email is an open standard protocol. So if the firum supports posting and reading via email, users can use any email app to access the forum.Tapatalk is a closed protocol; users must use the tapatalk app.

If I happen to like the tapatalk app, I'm fine. If not, I'm stuck - I can't write my own.

Open standards promote innovation. beyondpod is a perfect example, built on the RSS open standard.
    I understand what you meant by open protocols, but I think what's being confused here is that adding the Tapatalk plugin doesn't affect anyone that doesn't have it. If you use RSS or email for the site, great, keep using it. I actually couldn't stand the email stuff from the old support site. I turned it off after a month or so because there was so much of it. With Tapatalk, it's like coming to the site, minus some bells and whistles. You go into a subforum, click on a thread you want to read, and go from there. Turn on email notification for what you want, or just check in when you have a minute or two.

There are a lot of us that don't have email being synched. I actually physically open Dolphin Browser and go to the Gmail site to check my mail, and my battery lasts forever because of it. I also am not getting bugged by emails all day that way. Doesn't work for everyone, but that's what I do.

I haven't tried this forum on my phone or tablets yet, mainly because forums on both of those suck to reply to, unless you have something like Tapatalk. LOL

*FORUMS* Ignore Feature - How to use.

Hello everyone, just thought I'd share in case you didn't know it was here.

If someone on the site is constantly taking threads off topic, or just annoying you to no end, you can put them on ignore.

To do this...

1. Click on their username anywhere on the site.

2. Click "View Profile".

3. Under their profile you'll see an option/link to "Add To Ignore List". Click this link.

4. You'll get a confirmation screen, click YES.

Done. You'll see a notice that the person had posted unfortunately in the threads, but it should help.

Follow the same instructions to remove the person.

Exclamation Priority should be given to fixing mobile version of forum (rather than Tapatalk)

Quote Originally Posted by RED ZMAN View Post
    ^^^ I didn't make one single nasty or personal comment man. Do I need to put smileys after everything? And ask for me to be banned? This is what I'm talking about John. I asked you, my second post in this thread, to PLEASE (that's usually seen as a polite request) not start the same games you did on the old site. Perfect example are both your posts in this thread, and your "Re Titling" of every post you make.
    I understand what you meant by open protocols, but I think what's being confused here is that adding the Tapatalk plugin doesn't affect anyone that doesn't have it. ...
    1. Priority should be given to fixing the mobile version of the Forum, which benefits everyone, rather than Tapatalk, which benefits just a small minority (much like support for bugs in hacked firmware).

2. Titling replies to match their content is a standard forum feature and completely appropriate.

3. If you persist in these nasty personal comments, I will ask that you be banned.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

Exclamation Issues that need fixing in mobile version of Forum

1. Composition window doesn't play well with Android Browser. In particular, the cursor keeps jumping down to the next line. (Chrome beta or Opera can be used as a work-around.)

2. A better way is needed to return to the mobile version of the website after the full site has been accessed (like the link to the full site in mobile) -- switching Themes isn't obvious.

UPDATE

3. The Forum should have links on all pages to the BP KnowledgeBase and to the BP FAQ. ("FAQ" is just a link to the Forum FAQ.)

4. Header text in the compose window should direct users to include BP version, device brand and type, Android OS version, etc, when posting questions or bugs, with a link to help on how to find that information.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-17-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

1. Composition window doesn't play well with Android Browser. In particular, the cursor keeps jumping down to the next line. (Opera can be used as a work-around.)
    I think it's days are numbered now chrome for android is in beta.

BeyondPod Team

Forum Discussion

All discussion regarding the forum has been moved to one thread. Please do not start a new thread about forum issues.

Quote Originally Posted by paulroberts View Post
    I think it's days are numbered now chrome for android is in beta.
    Perhaps, but probably not anytime soon -- Chrome is a resource hog (pig, almost 50MB just for the app, over 80MB of RAM when running) that only works well on the latest most powerful devices, and while it may get rolled into future Android releases (Jelly Bean), it would be years before that route could make a serious dent in Browser usage. Ice Cream Sandwich is still only available on a handful devices with negligible market penetration, and handset makers aren't eager to upgrade devices, not only because they'd rather sell new ones, but also because new Android releases really need more powerful hardware to work well. So I think it behooves BP to address this issue.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-17-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    All discussion regarding the forum has been moved to one thread. Please do not start a new thread about forum issues.
    There should really be a non-BP forum for discussion of things not BP, in part because it's confusing to have all these messages collapsed into one thread.
    Last edited by JNavas; 03-17-2012 at 03:35 PM.
    Hope that helps,
    John