Thread: Recreate configuration

Recreate configuration

I had to reinstall my phone, and I have a backup of everything in the BeyondPod directory from the phone, but copying in on top of the newly installed BeyondPod did not work.

I was hoping for an easy way to recreate my podcast feeds, that it would remember which were downloaded before the reinstall, which were marked as read, etc.

Should this not be possible with a complete backup of the directory? If so, how do I use it?

PS, paying user :-)

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Sorry - missed that one.

Restore the BeyondPod directory first, THEN install BeyondPod and it should pick up all your settings. You should find that if you uninstall BP, and then reinstall it will pick up all your settings - unless the automatic backup files have already been overwritten with newer versions, in which case you'll need to go back to the copy of the BP folder that you made before the reinstall.

To be really certain, BeyondPod does also have an option in the menus to back up and restore your settings, but of course, you no longer have the original settings to backup, so that's just an option for next time.

HTH
    Julie

That worked! Thanks Julie!! I did notice afterwards that it was possible to backup settings, but considering that all Android apps work different, It was much easier to just backup the SD directory :-)

I guess itīs to much to hope for, that these settings could be backed up to the Google account along with many of the others apps?

BeyondPod Team
    I'll check. It's possible that they already do, in theory, but my understanding is that app settings backup can be a bit hit-and-miss (i.e. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), which is one possible reason for the totally-under-BP's-control approach that is used.

I dont think so, none of my settings survived. I just found out that settings were not updated on the above approach, but at least I got my feeds and their status back, and that was the most important thing.

BeyondPod Team
    Those settings are stored in your phone memory, not in the BeyondPod folder.

As I suspected, BeyondPod DOES save its settings to the Google account, but, as previously mentioned, the Google account backup (or rather, the restore) is rather flaky, and there are a number of situations totally outside of BP's control which seem to break it. This is why the Backup and Restore functions were added to BeyondPod to give a reliable and complete backup method.

Julie