Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Create Account

From the above link -

You don't have to use the same SmartPlay list or any other settings on both devices, or listen to things in the same order. In fact, in some ways, for testing purposes, the more differences you have between devices the better, so that we can catch any possible remaining glitches relating to those.
    They aren't. There's is no SmartPlay list on the N7. I don't think I've read anything telling me to do so.

Sorry to be a pain, just trying to understand it is all

Okay, set the SmartPlay on the N7 now.

Hmm, on checking settings somehow I've been logged out of sync on the S3. I've logged back in, forced both devices to sync, but the N7 doesn't recognise that I'm 50 minutes into a podcast on the S3...

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCr15 View Post
    They aren't. There's is no SmartPlay list on the N7. I don't think I've read anything telling me to do so.

Sorry to be a pain, just trying to understand it is all
    That's fine. If you have no SmartPlay list and press Play on the Widget, it always prompts you to create one. That's nothing to do with the sync. It's just that BP didn't know what you wanted to play.

I thought it would know from sync what I was last listening too...?

BeyondPod Team
    Okay, set the SmartPlay on the N7 now.

Hmm, on checking settings somehow I've been logged out of sync on the S3. I've logged back in, forced both devices to sync, but the N7 doesn't recognise that I'm 50 minutes into a podcast on the S3...
    Hmm. Where are you looking to see that you've been logged out? AFAIK, there's no way (yet) to be able to log out or disconnect a device from the Sync service.

Have both devices had access to the internet all the time?

What do the SyncLogs on each show? (Menu -> More ... -> EpisodeSync -> View Sync Log (or BeyondPodSyncLog.txt in the BeyondPod folder).

Julie

BeyondPod Team
    I thought it would know from sync what I was last listening to...?
    Well it does, but it only responds to the information about what you HAVE listened to on any of your synced devices. As I said in the other post, each device is autonomous, and in control of its own episodes and playlist.

The reasoning is that you may well have different use patterns for different devices or types of devices (e.g. mostly audio on a phone and more video on a tablet), so each one is in control of its own destiny. The episode you were listening to on your S3 could perfectly well be from a feed that you don't even subscribe to on your N7.

This is an Alpha, and we're open to suggestions, but they have to
    a) not break existing settings on each of your devices
    and
    b) not involve loads more settings to determine what takes priority in the event of conflict of settings.

BeyondPod's strength (that it allows many different use patterns and settings) is also its weakness, in that
    a) your devices may not all have the same settings. If syncing something from Device A breaks Device B's settings, what wins?
    b) people use it in many different ways, so something that makes sense for one person's use pattern may not do for somebody else - the more settings we have, the more complicated it gets to understand.

You may also have 3 or more devices involved in the syncing, which complicates things even further. What happens if you listen to half of Episode X on Device A, half of Episode Y on Device B, and then pick up Device C? One option is that you always put the most recently part-played episode at the top of the playlist, but what if your use pattern for Devices A and C are simlar, but different on Device B, but Device B was the most recently used one?

Don't forget that there are many ways to get episodes on a Playlist. SmartPlay is one, but you can also manually construct a playlist by adding episodes to the playlist yourself, or you can just find an episode in your Feed List or My Episode view and tap that to create a new playlist starting with that episode (if you have Automatic Playlist switched on), and you can also create playlists using QuickPlay. And I expect I've probably forgotten some!

Whatever we do with sync has to be able to cope with all of this. Even if you just have different SmartPlay lists on each device, the episode you were listening to may not even be on the Playlist on the other. Or it may be 10th on the list. If so, and you automatically start playing it, what happens when you finish? Does it play the 11th on your list, or the first? If the first, should it have moved the one that you were listening to to the top of the list? What if your local settings say Keep Current Episode?

Now it may well be that the most "logical" approach is that IF the episode you were listening to on Device A is in a feed that you subscribe to on Device B that the episode should be inserted at the top of the playlist on Device B, even if it bears no relationship to the playlist that was current on that Device B at the time. But, what if you haven't downloaded it on that device (because it's set to only download on WiFi, and only to stream over WiFi), but you've only had a 3G connection on Device B? It may still have been allowed to retrieve the sync info, but the settings don't allow it to play the episode that you were listening to on Device A.

All sorts of combinations are possible, and the thinking is that the most straightforward and easily understood approach to take is to allow each device to behave as though it was the device that was used to listen to synced episodes, but still retain control of its own episodes, taking that information into account.

As I said, this is an Alpha, and we're open to suggestions.

Julie
    Last edited by juwlz; 01-20-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Clarification

That all makes sense and I understand the problem a little better.

It certainly is a tricky one. If I have any fantastic ideas, I'll let you know

BeyondPod Team
    Please do!

And maybe there is room for just one setting (which will need a MUCH shorter phrase!), namely
    "On this device, put the most recently part-played episode on any of my synced devices at the top of my playlist" (Yes/No)

And this would only apply until you generate a new playlist (i.e. you actively decide to choose something different to play), and even then it would have to "win" over the automatic regeneration of a SmartPlay list when new new episodes are downloaded, so that if you start listening to something on Device A, and Device B gets some new episodes before you start listening to anything on it, it would have to update the SmartPlay list, and then insert / move the part-played episode at/to the top of the list. And that, in itself, makes it potentially complicated to understand. And you still have to decide which settings wins between that and Keep Current Episode .

Or maybe Keep Current Episode should be mutually exclusive with a setting to Put most recently played synced episode at top of playlist? But Keep Current Episode only applies to SmartPlay lists.

See? Even one "simple" setting gets complicated!

Julie