Thread: Episodes deleted from playlist with Allow remote episode deletions off

Episodes deleted from playlist with Allow remote episode deletions off

I have my phone set to delete some downloads on update. That's working as expected.

A tablet is set to always stream, and Allow remote episode deletions is not checked.

After the phone did it's scheduled update this morning, the tablet got a bunch of deletion notices for the episodes the phone removed. Nothing seems to have changed in the episode list - all those episodes are still listed there as streams. But the deleted episodes that were in the playlist were removed from the playlist. That seems wrong.

On the positive side, those episodes were deleted because sync told the phone got that they had been played on the tablet, so the syncing seems to be working!

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    I would expect them to be removed from the playlist on the tablet if they've been played on any of your synced devices.

Your tablet should behave as though the episodes had been played on your tablet, and I wouldn't expect a played episode to stay on the playlist.

I guess you use the Remove played from playlist option, and forgot that it's an option.

I don't, so I expect played episodes to stay where they are until I do something to make them go away - typically Start SmartPlay.

In any case, I don't expect sync to remove episodes from the playlist (unless it's deleting the episode, in which case it would be weird to leave the deleted episode in the playlist).

BeyondPod Team
    Good point - you're right. I do remove from the playlist after playing (and I'd forgotten there was an option not to).

The intention is that the sync shouldn't directly do anything. It should simply allow each device to behave as though any episode, played on any synced device, had been played on the local device. If the playlist is behaving differently than it would have if you had played the episode(s) locally, then I don't think it's behaving as it should. I guess the core issue here is that the phone appears to have sent a Delete update to the sync server, not a 100% played update (this may be an oversight / assumption that the two are the same).

Could you please send your log to support@beyondpod.mobi, with a link to this thread? (Or post the relevant part here if it's not too big - you could clear the logs on both devices and play a single episode on the phone to reproduce the problem, and send/post both logs.)

Thanks
    Julie

As you guessed, the logs were too big to include in this post. I sent them to support, and then decided to try uploading them as an attachment here.

Re-reading my original post, I see that I wasn't clear on the sequence of events. Let me try again :-)

First, I played the episodes on my tablet, from its playlist -- and did nothing further to that playlist. So when I left it, the playlist had a bunch of played episodes.

Eventually the tablet's played updates got synced to the phone (first pair of logs I sent).

Some hours later, the phone did it's daily update. I have some of these feeds set to keep one episode, and there were new episodes to download, so the phone deleted some of those played episodes. It then synced the updates to the tablet. (second pair of logs I sent).

Some time later I woke up, and looked to see what state BP was in. That's when I noticed that the played episodes were all gone from the playlist.

All those "Ingoring deletion of episode" messages in the log are moot, since the episodes are ((Stream)) anyway.

I actually don't know exactly when the episodes disappeared from the tablet's playlist, and I don't see anything in the log that helps. For example, two I noticed are

downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/stw/stw_20130121-1227a.mp3
    downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/did/did_20130113-1200a.mp3

which appear only in the phone's received sync log.

Maybe the tablet removed them from the playlist itself when it sent the sync update?
    Attached Files Attached Files

BeyondPod Team
    I'm going to need to take some time to read through that more carefully - preferably on something larger than a phone screen, which is all I have at the moment.

The bottom line is:
    Did the phone behave as it would have done if you had listened to everything on the phone?
    Did the tablet behave as though you had listened to all of the episodes on the tablet?

NB: Deletion of episodes refers to removal from My Episodes, so is still potentially valid for anything you can see in the Episodes view, using the All Episodes filter, whether downloaded or marked for streaming.

BeyondPod Team
    There should not be any dependence between the sync logic and the playlist (at least there is no intentional relationship between the two). The only way where the content of the playlist can be affected is if the episode is deleted remotely it is also removed from the playlist.

I tried to replicate the scenario Denis described and in my case the episode was marked as played and left in the playlist as played. Denis, can you try a controlled experiment with a well known episode to see if this is something that can be reproduced with your device/settings?

My only guess is that the playlist was updated and it had flushed the played episodes (if remove played from playlist setting was on) but there could be some other undesired side effect that we have to track down.

Indeed, this doesn't seem to have happened again.

If it happens again I'll let you know.