Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How does Last.fm sync work with Beyondpod?

BeyondPod Team
    UK (BP Team member from Jun 2012 to Mar 2017), http://blog.juwlz.co.uk/
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Have you tried a good old-fashioned reboot?

Julie

Between June 28th and now this phone has had its screen replaced so it has been rebooted probably a dozen times. And thank.

BeyondPod Team
    I can't think of anything that may interfere with scrobbling. On BeyondPod side things are relatively simple - if "Publish Current Episode" is checked, BeyondPod simply broadcasts Android events with the currently playing episode and everything else (listening to the event, and submitting it to Last.fm) is handled by Simple Last.FM Scrobbler.
    The only thing I can think of is trying uninstalling/reinstalling Last.Fm Scrobbler in case it got stuck somehow?

I uninstalled and reinstalled Simple Last.FM Scrobber and I also have official Last.FM scrobbler looking at the same time. Neither one of them are seeing the published events. I tried to capture the log from a track end. It looks like it is trying to publish but the scrobblers are not seeing it.

07-17 09:47:43.913 V/BeyondPod(28090): Media Player OnCompleted! Buffered: 100%, Download Started: true, Fully Downloaded: true (458 ms. since last trace) [MediaPlaybackService]
    07-17 09:47:43.919 V/BeyondPod(28090): Published Google Music 'metachanged' broadcast for track: The Strangers by Patrick Hicks | Friday, July 17, 2015 | The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor (6 ms. since last trace) [TrackMetadataPublisher]
    07-17 09:47:43.921 V/BeyondPod(28090): Scrobbling track: The Strangers by Patrick Hicks | Friday, July 17, 2015 | The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor paused (302/302) (2 ms. since last trace) [TrackMetadataPublisher]
    07-17 09:47:43.922 V/BeyondPod(28090): Marked Item as READ when item's track is marked as PLAYED! Track: The Strangers by Patrick Hicks | Friday, July 17, 2015 | The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor (ID:-935085892)... (1 ms. since last trace) [ItemStateHistory]
    07-17 09:47:43.923 V/BeyondPod(28090): Saving Item History()... (1 ms. since last trace) [ItemStateHistory]
    07-17 09:47:43.925 V/AudioManager(28090): registerMediaButtonIntent() CallingPackageName = mobi.beyondpod, RegisterPackageName = mobi.beyondpod
    07-17 09:47:43.926 V/BeyondPod(28090): Removed 1 played episodes. (3 ms. since last trace) [PlayList]
    07-17 09:47:43.926 V/BeyondPod(28090): Found next playable episode: Comic Book Noise 542: Ant-Man, The Joker, and Killjoys at position: 0 (0 ms. since last trace) [PlayList]
    07-17 09:47:43.933 V/BeyondPod(28090): Starting playback of the next track:0 -> 0 (7 ms. since last trace) [PlayList]

I have the same problem repeated a lot here, I have the latest versions of BeyondPod, the Last.FM app, and Simple Last.FM Scrobbler (although the Last.FM app is not spotting any scrobbles from BeyondPod).

When I play a podcast it appears in Simple Last.FM Scrobbler, and a "Last now playing notification" is submitted, but the actual scrobble is never submitted. I have tried Pocket Casts, just to make sure I'm not going mad, and then both the notification shows *and* the scrobble is submitted.

Does anyone know why this interaction between BeyondPod and Simple Last.FM Scrobbler is failing?

(I much prefer the interface of BeyondPod over Pocket Casts!)

I'm having the same exact problem! Sometimes it will work and sometimes it doesn't. Like SSR, I've had to go back to an inferior podcast app because of this issue. It's so weird. Has anyone figured out what's going on?

Sadly not here, I'm still using Pocket Casts. I would love it if BeyondPod could resolve this issue.

BeyondPod Team
    As Stefan posted here, BP really doesn't interface directly with last.fm at all. All it does is to broadcast the currently playing episode for all other Android apps to see.

Another app (like last.fm app) will listen to the broadcast and should take care of the rest. The BP broadcasting code has not changed in the last 3 years or so, so it's most likely that something has changed on the last.fm side, but we don't know what (or why it should be different if you're using a different podcast app).

There is really nothing to be shown in any log other than that BP sent the broadcast, which shows in the Android log as "Scrobbling track ...."

Julie

Understood, but why does Pocket Casts work and BP not? I'm using the Simple Last.FM app, as the official Last.FM app doesn't work at all for either BeyondPod or Pocket Casts.

I'd dearly love to use BeyondPod, as it's much better than Pocket Casts, but I also want to scrobble the podcasts.

Let me know if I can offer more troubleshooting information.

BeyondPod Team
    Thanks for the offer.

I'm guessing that would be best addressed from the scrobbling app end: find out why they're not picking up the broadcast information, or why it somehow doesn't (always) include the information that they get from PocketCasts (which is presumably doing the same thing).

From the BeyondPod side, if it's not working, view the Android log. You should see a Scrobbling entry for each Play/Pause (as per line three in the log at earlier in this thread).
    e.g.
    BeyondPod(28090): Scrobbling track: The Strangers by Patrick Hicks | Friday, July 17, 2015 | The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor paused (302/302)

That's ALL BeyondPod has ever done, and should be all the scrobbling app needs.

If you don't see an entry in the log, make sure you have "Publish Current Episode" enabled in the Advanced Settings

HTH
    Julie